Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

Congratulations. I sent you a DM with a list of tools to consider. Be weary about Amazon tooling - some of it is counterfeit. More in my DM.
David - I’m in the same exact boat having bought an PM833TV and 1340GT myself today. Would you mind sharing the info you sent to Christian?

David - I’m in the same exact boat having bought an PM833TV and 1340GT myself today. Would you mind sharing the info you sent to Christian?
Welcome to the fold! The wait is tough, but I do have some work to do to get ready. Look forward to sharing notes!

I'm currently waiting for a 940v. The wait was tough initially but it's been pushing me to get other projects done so I'm going to ride the wave with a smile. I'm about a month to a month and a half out so its getting real.

Have you guys been following the situation in Tawain? Any idea if that could effect shipping time for the 833's?

It is just my opinion that nothing will really happen to production unless there is a disruption in supplies. If China makes a real move, and invades, or embargoes, then things will change. This is one of the reasons I ordered the lead screws, and nuts, PM does not have them in stock. Mine came from Taiwan by DHL, I just got them last week.

Attached is my latest list including hotlinks to one source of supply.

Attachments

• Machine Tooling Get Started List August162021.pdf
    168.1 KB · Views: 190
@davidpbest for the Greenfield die stock, the 423009, what size die does it hold? The Amazon link tells me how long it is (pretty much useless info), but not the die OD. For that matter, the Greenfield site doesn't tell me either. Is the whole body tool steel? If so, I've been looking for decades to find something like that!

Found it elsewhere. 423009 is for 1" OD dies.

Last edited:
The #3 die stock holds 1" round dies. You can find the Greenfield specific sizes in this catalog on page 32, lower left corner. The holder is low carbon steel. I have made my own die stocks as three-piece units with screw-on handles, and hardened the round die holder to Rockwell 50 - pretty simple project if you have a lathe and a mill.

Someone DM'd me asking how I made my own die stocks, so I thought I would just post that info here.
Attached are drawings for making your own tailstock tap & die holders and round die stocks. The die stocks are on the third page. You can see the tailstock tap and die system at this link - the die stocks I didn't photograph since they are a simple subset of the tailstock units.

I have a heat treat oven which you can get from Stan Z by clicking here if you want to make the investment. He builds them in lots of about 20, they are exceptionally well made an an outstanding value compared to the mass produced stuff. Stan has a series of videos on how he makes the ovens if you're interested - here is the link.

But you don't have to have a heat treat oven to harden and aneal steel. You can heat-treat 4041 by bringing it to dark cherry red with a propane torch, then quenching in water. Then put them in your kitchen oven at 400°F for about 30 minutes, turn off the oven and let them cool overnight. That will temper them back to 50° Rockwell. They will be oxidized terribly, so clean them up with a maroon ScotchBrite pad. If you don't temper the components by re-heating them to 400 for at least 30 minutes, they will be extremely brittle and will fracture if you drop them on something hard (like a concrete floor or your mill vise).

Attachments

• Lathe Tailstock Tap and Die Holders.pdf
    88.4 KB · Views: 258
Well it looks like I was wrong thinking both machines would be here in July. I think the 833TV will get to PM late July, and the 1340GT Late August.

I purchased some 2-2-2-4 Aluminum service cable, and a Siemens 100A 12/24 box to run as my sub panel. I am out of space in my main panel, so I am going to use the breaker space for the double oven to install a new 100A breaker, and run it to the new sub-panel. I will then re-locate the breaker to the double ovens to the sub panel, and still have plenty of space for 110 and 220V runs in my mini-shop. Planning on a 50A circuit for my Millermatic 215, which I can run just out the sliding door of my basement, and dedicated circuits for the mill and lathe as well. Will probably start that project this coming weekend.

It is just my opinion that nothing will really happen to production unless there is a disruption in supplies. If China makes a real move, and invades, or embargoes, then things will change. This is one of the reasons I ordered the lead screws, and nuts, PM does not have them in stock. Mine came from Taiwan by DHL, I just got them last week.
Em .. yes and no.
The US market depends on orderly deliveries at orderly prices to not upset stock market prices.

At the moment there is no real physical problem - US.
There is plenty of US (scrap) steel, and US mills are gearing up.

Traders (financial markets) have driven up the price of *US* steel .. and this is great news for the US mills that are now re-starting production.
And activating their workers (jobs).
Within a shortish period of time, akaasm 3-4 months, US steel prices will swing to their typical feedstock+processing prices.
Somewhere around 600$ / ton, depending on how You measure it / measure what.

The US markets have been very much affected, in commodities.
But the global production or usage of commodidities is about the same, within 1-2%, essentially no change.
Except a bit less oil (==> gas, diesel, shipping, refining), and a lot less air travel.

-- and less Cruise ships, auto rentals, hospitality.
None of which are PM industries.

--
If china actually wanted to hurt US industrial production it c/p/would raise the prise of refining lithium or price of processing neodymium magnets.
But they wont.
If they did, within 2-3 years the US would have built new infrastructure able to do similar processing.
Probably at a higher price, initially, but so what.
Perhaps 2x higher price, or more.

The US does not yet want to develop highly efficient, low-energy, clean, lithium extraction or processing infrastructure.
5/2021.
So far, there are exactly zero national efforts to do so.
Tesla is the only US company to have done any meaningful EV battery stuff on a global level.
And accounts for about 35% of all global advanced battery efforts.

Back