Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

Would love some input on a drill chuck for my 1340GT.

Need a MT#3 but not sure about what to go for. Looking for the best value proposition here. Bang for buck. Any gems in the $150 or less range?

I use a 5/8" keyless chuck with integral MT3 shank, I would recommend getting one with a lower TIR. I have been pretty happy with the Shar's higher end Tegara line, also the PM chucks work well. The nickle plated ones with coated jaws hold up well and the claimed TIR is under 0.002". On Shar's check their website, sometimes cheaper to order through eBay.

I'm liking my chuck from PM.....

I saw a post where David Best mentioned that he uses an ER40 collet chuck with MT#3 in his tailstock in addition to a regular chuck. Seems like an interesting addition. I would think that the advantage would be greater precision and larger diameter?

The attached tool list includes some drill chuck alternatives for the 1340 tailstock (MT3). I've tried many brands, and prefer Vertex for keyed chucks, and Albrecht for keyless. Another H-M user recently acquired the PM Ultra Precision chuck and good things to say about it and the runout check showed good results.

Attachments

• Machine Tooling Get Started List August162021.pdf
    168.1 KB · Views: 137
I saw a post where David Best mentioned that he uses an ER40 collet chuck with MT#3 in his tailstock in addition to a regular chuck. Seems like an interesting addition. I would think that the advantage would be greater precision and larger diameter?
Yes, I use ER40 instead of 5C in my shop because of the wider clamping range. So I have ER40 collet chucks with R8 shank for the mill, with MT3 shank for lathe tailstock and spindle (using MT5->MT3 adapter), and rotary table on the mill, along with square and hex collet blocks. I use the ER40 collet chuck in the tailstock to hold end mills, reamers, and annular cutters.

Typically I use the ER40 collet in the lathe tail stock when I want to hold an end mill, sometime for shouldering or finish boring, but in general for larger holes I recommend MT drills (regular and stepped), annular cutters and reamers if you need a precise diameter. On deep boring I use a 1" carbide boring bar which usually can maintain an end to end tolerance of 0.001" over 8". An end mill for drilling is less than ideal. On the mill I prefer the smaller ER32 R8 system because it has less bulk, but also have an ER40 for large end mills.

20200719_150551.jpg
20190308_181328.jpg

Called PM yesterday to see how my order was going, and learned that the 833TV is no longer expected in July, but in Mid August now. I know things happen, but I am a bit miffed that I had to call to find this out. I am paid in full on over $14K worth of machinery, I kind of figure I deserve updates when things change.

I guess I will take a deep breath, and let it go.

Back