Another "tool gloat", hey, it's Christmas right???

Which, the radii cutter or the zero-center?

The zero-center is used like a coaxial indicator on a mill. You mount the stepped post in your quill using a collet or end mill holder. A dial indicator is attached to the left side (in the pic) of the block. You can then use it to center a circle or other misc. pieces to the quill. Here's a similar one from Enco's website:

The radii cutter is just that. The big crescent shaped thing is attached to the compound/cross slide of a lathe and is used to cut a radius/circle/globe. Here's a pic from Holdridge's web site:

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Holy frijole, Ron! I'll say it again: you suck! :drool:

John

Last edited by a moderator:
nice finds, post some in use pics or vids when you can
steve

nice finds, post some in use pics or vids when you can
steve

Will do! Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to attach the radii cutter to my lathe, the t-slot on the compound or the one on the slide. :thinking: I'll probably use the zero-set to check the tailstock on my lathe. If I do I'll post pics of that as well.

-Ron

I picked up one of the Holdridge radius cutters a few weeks ago (along with a $100 shaper). I did not realize until I got home that it was a $1000 tool, for which I gave $40.

I picked up one of the Holdridge radius cutters a few weeks ago (along with a $100 shaper). I did not realize until I got home that it was a $1000 tool, for which I gave $40.

Wow! That was a steal at $40. These things are fairly pricey and although I've wanted one since I got my lathe I never thought I'd find one that could "justify" price-wise. The 8-D goes for about $2000 new and I got this lightly used one for just over six bills + shipping. No where near the kind of deal you got but still a fair price.

-Ron

Well, it was missing some pieces, and no wood case. It's also a smaller model than yours, but I haven't figured out which model. At any rate it's about right for my 9" and 10" lathes. It had all the main pieces. Very light rust.
I was a lot more excited about the shaper

I don't even know how to use the darn thing but it looks purrdy and now I want one! I think I have a problem...

I don't even know how to use the darn thing but it looks purrdy and now I want one! I think I have a problem...

I feel for you, I,m afraid I suffer from the same disease. ;)

Well, it was missing some pieces, and no wood case. It's also a smaller model than yours, but I haven't figured out which model. At any rate it's about right for my 9" and 10" lathes. It had all the main pieces. Very light rust.
I was a lot more excited about the shaper

Still a great deal. A little Evapo-rust and it'll be good as new. You can probably make some of missing parts. On the other hand, I've also got a thing for shapers. (see comment about disease above ;) ) Hopefully I'll get back to putting my 16" Queen City back to working order in the near future.

-Ron

Back