Another VFD question

Ed W

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I am in the process of ordering an Acra 1440TVS. The lathe from the factory is spec’d with a Yaskawa G7series vfd that is not large enough to handle a single phase input. I have (and Tom at Acra has agreed) to have the VFD changed to a Yaskawa V1000 series CIMR-VU2A0030FAA to allow the full 5hp output on a single phase input. I asked about a DC choke and they don’t install them. I would plan to install a choke when I receive the machine. What else do I need to do? Change the fuses? How much amp service should I plan for? 40 or 50 amps single phase? Any programming changes. They will also install single phase oil and coolant pumps.
Thanks for the help.
Ed

Congratulations, I have the 1440TVS, and like it very much. I am running mine 3ph off of a 5hp RPC with the G7 Yaskawa VFD. I did not think to ask if I needed a larger RPC, it's a great machine for me.

Hi Ed- What is the choke for? Is it on the input or output of the VFD?

I believe the Choke is to reduce EMI. My Hitachi WJ-200 VFD's have ports for chokes. I use and RFI/EMI filter in front of my VFD's and don't worry about the choke. I might add a choke if I had a CNC system.

12 gauge 220v single phase is good for 20 amps and should be plenty for a 5hp motor. A 5hp motor on a VFD draws a fraction of the starting current that a 5 hp direct wired (single phase or 3 phase) motor will.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I am in the process of ordering an Acra 1440TVS. The lathe from the factory is spec’d with a Yaskawa G7series vfd that is not large enough to handle a single phase input. I have (and Tom at Acra has agreed) to have the VFD changed to a Yaskawa V1000 series CIMR-VU2A0030FAA to allow the full 5hp output on a single phase input. I asked about a DC choke and they don’t install them. I would plan to install a choke when I receive the machine. What else do I need to do? Change the fuses? How much amp service should I plan for? 40 or 50 amps single phase? Any programming changes. They will also install single phase oil and coolant pumps.
Thanks for the help.
Ed
I would go with a 30A breaker. Input Phase loss detection will need to be disabled in the drive if they don't already do that for you at Acra, which I would assume they would.

Hi Ed- What is the choke for? Is it on the input or output of the VFD?
He said "DC Choke" which I interpret to be what Yaskawa calls "DC Link" - Yaskawa gives you the option to put an inductor between the input rectifier and the output transistors. It's neither input or output, but DC. helpful when single phase input is used, because of ripple.

Aukai, glad you like it. Your experience with the VFD made me inquire about the "standard" model and hopefully avoid an RPC or solid state phase converter.
Mark, DC choke, as I understand it, will also reduce single phase voltage fluctuation effect and reduce overall current draw of VFD working off single phase input. It is recommended by Yaskawa.
Mike, if my reading is correct, the maximum current draw will be 1.73 x 15 amps or about 26 amps for the motor alone. Add in the oil pump and its about 28 amps. For the NEC 80% rule to be satisfied a circuit of at least 35 amps is required. This would mean a 40 amp breaker and 8 gauge copper wire. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Thanks everyone.

8 gauge, 220v for 5 HP is larger than anything I typically see in the field. But it should certainly do the job!

The attached app note is for the older F7/P7 drives but the information is still valid for V1000, they are just the "new body style."

The "23P7" in the app note refers to a 200V/5HP VFD. This is equivalent to the G7 they probably had in there.

The "27P5" in the app note refers to a 200V/10HP VFD. This is equivalent to the replacement they're making.

According to the appnote you need 8AWG and a 35A breaker for that drive, running a single phase 5HP motor. Add your other goodies and you're pushing 40A. Sorry I said 30A earlier.

Attachments

• AN.AFD.15.pdf
    268.3 KB · Views: 4
Back