Another VFD question

I am quite familiar with the VFD's and specific with those from Acra/Sunmaster. Please post a picture of the current VFD installed from the factory so I can give you further details. A DC choke is recommended for single phase input on a 3 phase input VFD used in derated mode. This can usually be fitted in the electrical cabinet on the base. In general for a 3 phase input VFD, I use the same size fuse as would be used for 3 phase input as I do for single phase input in a derated mode. When I know the VFD model I can give you specifics on both. You do not need to change any of the programming on the VFD, it should remain the same if you do not change the VFD. If you do change the VFD to the V1000 I can provide some guidance as to programming but we would need to pull the programming parameters from the current VFD. The V1000 uses a special cable to program it via computer, and a serial to USB adapter.

The input wiring does not change, I would use the current fuses already in place. The previous Acra models were oversized (7.5Hp) continuous duty VFD's for a 5 Hp motor, but it seems like there was a change recently as I also encountered this with someone else. The alternative is to run it off of an RPC or Phase Perfect.

Provide me with the model number of the G7 that is the default VFD.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,
The VFD currently in the machine is a CIMR-G7A23P7. Based upon past experience documented on H-M, I thought to ask to replace this unit. I asked Tom about it and he said they just reduce the motor hp and it works "fine"! He agreed to replace this with the V1000 CIMR-VU2A0030FAA. I assume that the new VFD will be programmed before it leaves their shop but who knows? DC choke of about 25 amps? Any special brand?
Ed

Attachments

• D2F0E9C3-5271-4CC8-8641-D9DBF40BAB2E.jpeg
    D2F0E9C3-5271-4CC8-8641-D9DBF40BAB2E.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 0
Just to be clear, the lathe is still in Rancho Cucamonga at the Acra warehouse.

Ok, I would see the thread below. Agreed that the CIMR-G7A23P7 is not adequate to run off of single phase. The V1000 CIMR-VU2A0030FAA is adequate to run off of single phase, fusing and wiring would most likely remain the same or may need 50A fusing (I use standard or low peak fusing, but would start out with the default fuses). I would run it off of a 50A breaker, 8 AWG is probably fine for power to the VFD. As far as DC chokes, technically you could get away w/o using a DC choke, but if you have room in the control cabinet it is advisable to add one. I would go with the MTE 32A DC choke (DCA003203).

Ok, I would see the thread below. Agreed that the CIMR-G7A23P7 is not adequate to run off of single phase. The V1000 CIMR-VU2A0030FAA is adequate to run off of single phase, fusing and wiring would most likely remain the same or may need 50A fusing (I use standard or low peak fusing, but would start out with the default fuses). I would run it off of a 50A breaker, 8 AWG is probably fine for power to the VFD. As far as DC chokes, technically you could get away w/o using a DC choke, but if you have room in the control cabinet it is advisable to add one. I would go with the MTE 32A DC choke (DCA003203).

As always, Mark, thank you for your very complete reply. When the lathe arrives, we’ll know whether the new VFD has been programmed.

Hi everyone,
The new lathe will be on its way next week. The VFD has been replaced as well as the oil pump and coolant pump with single phase versions. Here are the pics:IMG_2977.jpegIMG_2974.jpegIMG_2972.jpegIMG_2973.jpeg

Back