Any Advice on Shaping Gussets

RedOak

Registered
Registered
I'm utilizing some 1/4" x 8" mild flat steel that we have left over from an old project for fabricating gussets that I'm welding into the "inside" of some 4.1 mild C-channel that we also have on hand.

To begin with, I used our 10" Evolution sliding saw to cut the strips, and my mistake was cutting the strips too wide....but more on that to come. After employing a friend's horizontal metal bandsaw to cut each 8" long strip into three equal length rectangles (roughly 2-5/8" long), I used a thin template that I cut out of sheet metal to draw the shape of the gusset onto said 1/4" rectangles.

Initially, my thought was that I should leave some excess that I could "easily" grind away, but the truth is that these little rectangles are much tougher to shape than I thought they would be. As I don't wish to deform the grinding stone on our bench grinder, I've tried to utilize both a belt sander and an angle grinder as alternatives. Both of these tools will work, eventually, but I was hoping to get some suggestions from the forum board as to how best go about something like this.

I've seen combination belt/bench sanders -- like the 4" x 36" belt / 8" disc machine depicted below -- that are advertised as being capable of both wood and metal work, but I've got some doubts about a machine like this. Regardless, I'd appreciate some thoughts from anyone who's actually negotiated this metal working hurdle in the past.

Thank you kindly for your time...

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.40.46 PM.png

I recommend the larger 6x48 belt/9 in. disc sander. There are lots of different brands out there, mine is a Craftsman. It gets a lot of use, but even it can be stalled without too much effort. I wouldn't expect to do any serious work with one of those little ones.

I have a Ryobi like this one...

Screenshot_20220830-003544_Chrome.jpg

...that I bought close to 20 years ago. It has seen a LOT of use and is still going strong.

IIRC, when I bought mine, they were $99.00... the price has almost doubled, I hope the quality hasn't suffered over the years.

I bought it to use grinding 'grind-to-fit' recoil pads for rifles and shotguns. I've probably ground over a thousand pads on this grinder, and also use it to deburr and shape wood, metal, and plastics.

-Bear

Grinding is done with a "stone" and sanding is done with coated paper or cloth.
Grinding removes stock quickly and should be done to rough the shape of the object.
Sanding should be done after Grinding to achieve a finer finish and to bring the part closer to its final shape. It is much slower than Grinding.
Both have there place just as different screw drivers or different pliers.
No matter if it is a stone wheel or a cloth belt they wear as a result of work performed.
There is a place for each machine.

Clamp them in a vise and use an angle grinder with a flap wheel. Probably do a few at a time all clamped together.
Martin

I recommend the larger 6x48 belt/9 in. disc sander. There are lots of different brands out there, mine is a Craftsman. It gets a lot of use, but even it can be stalled without too much effort. I wouldn't expect to do any serious work with one of those little ones.
I was going to make the same suggestion, but with the recommendation of a Delta/Rockwell machine. I bought one several years ago for pocket change. For some reason everyone now thinks they're worth their weight in gold. A machine they were giving away for $50.00 10 years ago now has an asking price of $1,000.00.

Along with the bandsaw this is one of the most used machines in the shop. I use either a 40 or 60 grit disk and an 80-grit belt. Great for fast stock removal and profiling. This is my $25.00 version of the machine. It has a 1 1/2 hp Baldor motor that won't stall under heavy pressure. It doesn't have the original top cover, but for $25.00 and over 20 years of service I'm not complaining.

Attachments

• DSC00029A.jpg
    DSC00029A.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 22
If going the combination sander route: you'll want one specifically designed for metal. These run a higher SFPM than the ones designed for wood. I believe Gizzly has a 6x48/12" which comes in both flavors; the metal one is identical but runs 2x as fast. I've never seen one which truly works properly for both metal and wood for this reason (never seen variable speed consumer model).

I have an older combo sander designed for wood like ProjectNut posted. While it does "work" I feel a 2x72" belt grinder is much better suited for the metal work I do. Beefier machines are going to have larger & stronger cast platens - cheap ones are stamped metal and will deflect. But it comes down to money vs need/requirements.

Invest in good sandpaper; the no-name crap on Amazon is just that...crap.

I understand sdelivery's explanation of grinding vs. sanding. My 2c is a good belt grinder can remove stock extremely quickly with coarse grits; I'd prefer a belt grinder for extreme amounts of metal removal.

If going the combination sander route: you'll want one specifically designed for metal. These run a higher SFPM than the ones designed for wood. I believe Gizzly has a 6x48/12" which comes in both flavors; the metal one is identical but runs 2x as fast. I've never seen one which truly works properly for both metal and wood for this reason (never seen variable speed consumer model).

I have an older combo sander designed for wood like ProjectNut posted. While it does "work" I feel a 2x72" belt grinder is much better suited for the metal work I do. Beefier machines are going to have larger & stronger cast platens - cheap ones are stamped metal and will deflect. But it comes down to money vs need/requirements.

Invest in good sandpaper; the no-name crap on Amazon is just that...crap.

I understand sdelivery's explanation of grinding vs. sanding. My 2c is a good belt grinder can remove stock extremely quickly with coarse grits; I'd prefer a belt grinder for extreme amounts of metal removal.
keeena …. One of the main reasons I was thinking about a sander at all was due to a YT video I watched in which a fella was using his 2” x 72” belt sander to make a heavy stand for his 2” x 72” belt sander. I watched this guy shaping, what appeared to be 1/4” mild, with relative ease. Anyway, considering what he was doing with his nice horizontal belt sander, I was thinking that there might be a similar unit available to the consumer market…but, thus far, it looks doubtful.

Does anyone know if a kit or plans for a high-speed (for metal) horizontal belt sander is available out there?

The methods mentioned all work , I personally find it easier to shape and rough form steel gussets by clamping it in a vise and use a 4.5" angle grinder with a metal grinding abrasive wheel to roughly form it close to the desired shape, then go to my 2"x42" belt grinder(Red Label ceramic sanding belt) to bring it to the final shape, I do it this way mainly because I can do the rough grinding part outside my shop and can walk around the vise while grinding, being left-handed may also have something to do with it .

If I was to make a grinder: I'd buy Jeremy Schmit's plans (can be bought on Etsy here). Its the most featured, well thought-out design IMO. His attachments are great - I like that his table doesn't tilt with the grinder. I think the only thing I'd add would be some shrouding / dust collection.

You can find build & use video's on his YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JersWoodshop/videos

Back