[4]

Any Benefit To Having Two Workmate Workbenches?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hi Guys,
So, as i have mentioned a million times in past posts, I have a severe space issue with my 1 car garage. Originally, before the metalworking bug bit me, i was planning on making a woodworking workbench since i was making a woodworking workshop. Now that I am now more focused on metalworking, I've settled on just using my Workmate 400 portable workbench. I don't know how long ago the 400 model was made. Nonetheless, I like how heavy duty and stable it is. I saw on craigslist someone selling the same model workmate for only $15, and it looks to be in extremely good condition and has all 4 cheapo orange bench dogs.
Has anyone on this forum owned 2 workmates where you can share how much or how little having 2 vs 1 helped you with your work?
Thanks!

Tozguy

Active User
I bought a second one because the first one is so useful. But one has been enough for what it is designed for and I would not be without one.
The second one has been used as a bench for years now with two plywood shelves added. It is permanently erected beside the lathe holding lube bottles, files, rags, brushes, etc.
I recently turned down a third one for free (estate clearance) because of a space issue. The decision was not easy to make but It was the right one for me.

Last edited:

stupoty

Active User
I thought every one had two of um ?

;)

Stu

pdentrem

Active User
Registered
I have 3 of them.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
I have 3. 2 are useful for holding long items, like angle iron or 2X4s. When both are engaged, the 3rd one comes out to do somthing else. I use the 3rd one more often than I thought. My 3rd one was a giveaway.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
It was my only portable bench for several years. But it has been replaced with a HF cart I put a top on and a HF hydraulic lift cart. Because my space is so small I need everything on castors and storage the Workmate now sits in the storage shed. It was great until it wasn't.

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I imagine a second one would come in handy when the first one is covered in stuff, Likewise a third one, when the first two are covered in junk, etc. etc.

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
I use two(2) and at times wish I had three(3). I do my own (re)construction work on my house(s)... ... One to hold stationary tools such as a mitre saw and the other to hold the work. Great for holding tooling that is used only occasionally and needs to be moveable. Like the afore-mentioned mitre saw. A scrap of plywood and a scrap of 2x4 and I have a (temporary) work bench.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
They don't take up much room when folded up so for $15 I'd get it .

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
It was my only portable bench for several years. But it has been replaced with a HF cart I put a top on and a HF hydraulic lift cart. Because my space is so small I need everything on castors and storage the Workmate now sits in the storage shed. It was great until it wasn't.
Understood. Thanks C-Bag

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Ok. Thanks everyone. Now, I won't feel guilty buying another Workmate 400 :)

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
Too bad you're not local as I'd gladly donate my Workmate to your cause.

yendor

Active User
Registered
I had one then when my father in law passed I gave away his.
Whoops - that was a mistake.
Can't remember how many times a 2nd one woujld have been handy.

BaronJ

Brass
Registered
Hi Everybody,

I have three BD work mates. I often use two of them to create a temporary work surface if I'm doing long stuff, and the other gets pressed into service supporting a circular saw or press drill depending upon the job at the time. More often than not outside to give me room that I don't have inside.

Ken from ontario

I'm not proud to say this but I used to collect the earlier model B&D Workmates!, it all started 10-12 years ago when I did a lot of woodworking and found these foldable tables essential to have in a my small wood shop, I still have 8 of them but 4 are put away in my shed and 4 are currently used in my shop.
One is modified as a make shift welding table , one is for holding two belt grinders, the other 2 are my temporary worktable .

The "H" frame design was( and still is) very popular/ collectable , I would not hesitate to buy one if the price was reasonable.

Last edited:

NortonDommi

Registered
A sheet of 3/4" ply with a couple of cleats screwed to it makes a great layout table that wont get knocked loose and the ply is easy to store against a wall with the Workmates.

Winegrower

I have a Black & Decker workmate that I liked and used a lot until the cheap plastic clips that hold the legs out broke. It's basically useless now, just can't quite get to the point of trashing it. Maybe I can make something from it...any suggestions??

pdentrem

Active User
Registered
Maybe make a spring metal clip to replace the originals?

Ken from ontario

I believe you can still order those plastic clips but don't know how much they cost .

bmac2

Registered
I use my workmate almost every time I’m in my wood shop, it was like having someone to help out that didn’t have an opinion.

Winegrower

Well, you guys are probably right...maybe I could make new ones, never made a spring like these. Ordering would be better. I am somewhat embarrassed that I haven't had the energy to do something about this. In the time to actually make new springs, I could make 100 posts complaining about it. :)

Allan

Active User
Registered
Susan, I have two of them and they are the only work bench I have. I glued and screwed a 2x4 to the bottom of a piece of 3/4" plywood and camp it in the jaws for a working surface. I use it for layout and even bullet casting. I also welded up a round disc to the top of a piece of rectangular tubing and bolted a largish vice to it. The opposite end has a "wing" on it that catches under the wooden jaws so that it can't cant up and out of the jaws. It isn't very stable but I have done a pile of sawing and filing that way. Crude and sometimes frustrating but effective for a po' boy.

Janderso

Always Learning
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I inherited one from my wife's EX before we were married, (35 years ago) I wore that one out. Meanwhile, I sawed through one I got for Christmas,( not all the way though.)
I bought another down the line. They are handy as heck.

[6]
[5] [7]