Any Idea What's Making This Sound?

Rannunzi

Registered
Registered
I've got an Atlas Craftsman 12x36. Whenever I run it on the back gears and apply more than very little force taking a cut, there's a fair bit of what I can only describe as a "crunchy" sound. Attached is a video of the lathe running with the sound. My first guess is that there isn't enough play between the gears and they're pressing too hard together. What leaves me unsure is that if I slightly pull the gears further apart using then eccentric lever, the sound doesn't stop. Anyone know where this could be coming from, if it's a problem, and what I could do to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help!
View attachment PXL_20210918_205650215~2.mp4

so I don't know the craftsman/atlas lathe, but my SB9 will make that sound if the back gear shaft is not adjusted correctly.
on the sb9 shaft there are eccentrics that move the gear in and out. There are stops. I think you need to adjust it.
I maybe wrong on the c/a lathe.

Gear noise. Clearance and lube will make things better.
Pierre

Gear noise. Clearance and lube will make things better.
Pierre
That's what I thought but increasing clearance with the eccentric lever hasn't reduced the noise. Also would I just add shims to increase the clearance properly? Thanks for the answer.

did you try allowing it to mesh tighter? I don't know how your lathe adjusts that. Mine is a screw that's a stop.
Also, my SB9 has oil locations for oiling the backgear shaft. I would be curious if you have a lot of play with the gear on the shaft?
maybe it's loose.

did you try allowing it to mesh tighter? I don't know how your lathe adjusts that. Mine is a screw that's a stop.
Also, my SB9 has oil locations for oiling the backgear shaft. I would be curious if you have a lot of play with the gear on the shaft?
maybe it's loose.
There's no way to adjust the shaft. It's positioned by two pins that exactly locate it. Only adjustment would be leaving the eccentric lever that engages the gears at a less than fully engaged position, but I'm wary of that because then it could change as I use it, or adding shims to place the entire back-gear assembly further from the spindle. I will check tomorrow specifically for play of the shaft.

Next question is one of the gears rubbing on one of the covers. Remove the covers and try again?
Wonder if the bullgear is bouncing around and hitting the cover or the 4 gang pulley.

Next question is one of the gears rubbing on one of the covers. Remove the covers and try again?
Wonder if the bullgear is bouncing around and hitting the cover or the 4 gang pulley.
I did have that suspicion and tried removing the covers. No difference.

It is only when running in back gears correct?

I know mine was noisier in back gears but honestly cannot remember how much more. Using oil or grease?

Back