Any interest in AR-7 "Survival Rifles"?

I have what I think is the original AR-7, given to me by my uncle in the 60's. I don't like the fact it doesn't like HP ammo but it has been fun to own. It is unmodified but I bought a new stock for it when the original one got damaged. The new one looks and feels cheap. I may try to repair the original one and I would love to find an original replacement.

It seems to be reliable and accurate with the right ammo.

1654451737818.png

I have two Henry ar7’s. I first got the black version about 10 yrs ago. Ive put a lot of rounds through her and haven’t had a single issue. I would be interested in hearing about the mods youve done to make it better.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your Henrys. They really are building them so much better these days.

As for discussing mods and such, after some stuff that went on recently I don't want to be the cause of any more problems around here, so I won't be posting in "Weapons" much.

Last edited:
I have what I think is the original AR-7, given to me by my uncle in the 60's. I don't like the fact it doesn't like HP ammo but it has been fun to own. It is unmodified but I bought a new stock for it when the original one got damaged. The new one looks and feels cheap. I may try to repair the original one and I would love to find an original replacement.

It seems to be reliable and accurate with the right ammo.
Yeah ... you sure do got one don't you!

Armalite built them from about 1959 to about 1973. There were 2 series or generations of them. They were pretty much the same, but did have little differences.

The early one had a bakalite stock. The serial number was on the right side, toward the rear. When the stock was installed, it covered up the serial number. Numbers ran up to 56809.

The later generation had a cycloc plastic stock with kind of a swirl finish. The serial number is located in front of the trigger guard on the right side near the magazine. Numbers ran from 67745 to 100829

Back in the day I had a buddy who had an early one. Whenever we went shooting he'd always bring it along because he knew I liked to shot it. As I recall it was VERY reliable and fairly accurate. I don't remember it being fussy about ammo. I know I shot it way more then he ever did.

I sure do hope you can find an orig stock for it ... but I haven't seen a loose one for years. It's almost impossible to find a stock for a Charter or Survival Arms version. Henry no longer has stocks for the gen 1 like mine.

OK mine is from the second run, serial# 69517. The swirl stock is the damaged one I'd love to replace with a like part. The one that's on it now is a cheesy looking camo-painted stock. Yuk!

The hollow point rounds impinge on the top of the chamber more often than not or so it seems. I sold all my HP rounds so I'm not tempted to use them the AR-7.

A Charter Arms AR-7 was the first rifle I ever bought new, I was 19 and read an article about it in a magazine, I just had to have one! It I was a little bit of a letdown as I soon discovered its shortcomings but I still had hours of fun with it, especially on camping trips. I still have it, even the original box, though I haven't fired it in decades. I would like to hear more about these mods, I would love to get it to a better level of reliability.

AS I understood,the whole point was a package that floated if it was lost overboard,and all the mechanism fitted into a water tight compartment.......i dont recall if the 1960s versions were stainless steel.....but there are plenty of fails caused by plain steel guns rusting solid in three days in a riverine environment......probably the worst blow to these guns was the "closed bolt" requirement.....the slam fire open bolt ones were perfectly reliable.

AS I understood,the whole point was a package that floated if it was lost overboard,and all the mechanism fitted into a water tight compartment.......i dont recall if the 1960s versions were stainless steel.....but there are plenty of fails caused by plain steel guns rusting solid in three days in a riverine environment......probably the worst blow to these guns was the "closed bolt" requirement.....the slam fire open bolt ones were perfectly reliable.

Hey John,

After 35 +/- years of fooling around with them, I can't recall rust (or any type of corrosion) being one of the AR-7's problems. I've just never seen or heard of it. From the beginning in in the late 1950's until about 2005 the receivers were a cast aluminum alloy (NOT zamak). Over the years the barrels changed a bit, from steel, to aluminum with a steel liner to plastic with a steel liner. For a long time, the internal steel bits, which are a VERY hard grade of steel (no stainless), were heavily parkerized. When Henry Repeating Arms started building them, they switched to a very heavy grade of powder coating. I have seen a good number of AR-7's which languished un-used in closets, damp basements and garages for years ... with no hint of rust or corrosion. If you know of any, I would like to see the pictures.

It's really hard to pin down the floating thing. Some sources indicate that it comes from US Air Force requirements for the AR-5, which the AR-7 is heavily influenced from. Others say that it was a new requirement for the AR-7.

FWIW, the AR-5 was chambered in .22 Hornet, bolt-action (rather then semi-auto and .22lr). Most importantly, it came apart and everything stowed in the stock.

AR-5-1.jpg

AR-5-3.jpg

AR-5A_Receiver_RT_side_Bolt_open.jpg

AR-5A-rt-side-complete.jpg

Interestingly, neither the AR-5 nor the AR-7 has ever had any on-board cleaning kit or oil bottle, or a sling for carrying the rifle, assembled or disassembled.

AR-7's floated fairly well back when they were about 2 1/2 pounds, but after Henry started building them, they got heavier, over 3 1/2 pounds, and do not float very well any more. The weight gain came because Henry switched from an aluminum alloy to a much heavier zinc alloy in the receiver's. Worse, the Henry stocks are really kind of cheesy and leak water like crazy and the end cap does not fit very well. I don't think Henry talks about "floating" in it's advertisements and prefer to think about the stock as a kind of water proof Tupperware, "Keeps your firearm parts fresher ... longer."

Personally, I wish that Armalite kept producing the AR-5. A bolt action with a centerfire (harder hitting) cartridge is a lot more reliable then a semi-auto .22lr.

Last edited:
Back