Any Internal Threading/Grooving Bar Recommendations?

Ray C

Registered
Registered
OK gang, I'm fresh out of patience looking for a decent threading bar set. I was hoping to find something that could do left and right hand threading and grooving. I would prefer something with "lay-flat" inserts since that allows threading inside of smaller holes.

Also, I'd consider an "end-type" insert holder as the "lay-flat" type is not an absolute requirement especially if the bar can dual-serve for threading and grooving. Diameter wise, I'd like to work inside bores as small as 3/4", maybe even smaller on special occasions...

The usual lack of clarity on product information, is slowing me down. If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks...

Ray

…………..looking for a decent threading bar set. I was hoping to find something that could do left and right hand threading and grooving. I would prefer something with "lay-flat" inserts since that allows threading inside of smaller holes.

Also, I'd consider an "end-type" insert holder as the "lay-flat" type is not an absolute requirement especially if the bar can dual-serve for threading and grooving. Diameter wise, I'd like to work inside bores as small as 3/4", maybe even smaller on special occasions...

The usual lack of clarity on product information, is slowing me down. If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know.
Ray

OK Ray and Charley, I’ll tell you what I have learned so far. As you probably have figured out I am an impulse tool buyer. I have bought two of the stand-up tool holders and have learned some of the weakness the hard way.

The first I bought was a Teledyne MTHOR-103. It had a ½ square shank. It will fit my lathe but the insert is too narrow for the internal thread I need to cut. Ray, you are right about the hole size. The one I got had been altered to try and get it into a smaller hole but is still limited to about a 1 ¼ diameter. Plus it will not do both internal and external work unless you lathe allows you to thread in reverse on the back side. The insert projects to left from the bar so will only do internal threaded/grooved bores.

The second one I bought from Charley was a Carboloy MTHOR-12-4. It has a wider insert and will do the thread I want to do but has a ¾ inch shank and will not fit my tool holder. I plan to try and make a modification to make it fit. It looks like it would be limited to about a 1 ¾ inch diameter bore size.

I have tried the online information and like you have not had much luck. Apparently Teledyne like a lot of American companies has gotten out of the tool business as I have not found a link their tool holders yet.

I’m watching your thread to see what can be learned from you thread about the “lay-flat” tools.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

i posted a reply for you in the what did you make today thread over in general saying how i like the stand up style inserts since they can cut a wide range of tpi's without having specific inserts for each one. The inserst are FLT if i remember right, there are a few size ranges of them but i am not in the shop to give you the exact code. mine uses a 1/2 shank though and it is plenty for using in a home shop

Todd,

When doing left-hand threads, do the stand-up type hold well? It seems there's an awful lot of pulling foce on that small screw.

Ray

i posted a reply for you in the what did you make today thread over in general saying how i like the stand up style inserts since they can cut a wide range of tpi's without having specific inserts for each one. The inserst are FLT if i remember right, there are a few size ranges of them but i am not in the shop to give you the exact code. mine uses a 1/2 shank though and it is plenty for using in a home shop

Todd,

When doing left-hand threads, do the stand-up type hold well? It seems there's an awful lot of pulling foce on that small screw.

Ray

Ray,
I can't help you with how they hold up with one screw but the small 1/2 shank threading bar I have for internal threading has two screws. The photo below shows the end view of the tool. One screw through the middle of the insert and one through a clamp for the insert. You should be able to see a modification on the left of the tool bar where the previous owner ground off the corners to get more clearance for a smaller bore size. Just saying all tools are not equal.
View attachment 51163

The tool holder is a Teledyne MTHOR-103. I can't seem to find any technical information on the holder. I got it from a used tool dealer. The inserts that I have for it are Valenite TNMC-32NV. Can't find the technical on the inserts either. Got the inserts from the same dealer.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

PS, Don't know what I did! the photo does not show unless you click on it and then it comes up very large.

Last edited:
OK, this struggle is almost over... I decided to go with the Carmex line of tools. They made the decision real easy by posting humanly readable information on their web site that clearly shows their features, describes ordering information, shows typical applications and also has software programs to calculate various parameters needed for threading. I also found a very good eBay seller who carries most of their stuff. Wow, they have cool stuff like multi-point thread cutters and grooving bars that are actually affordable. As soon as the order arrives and if things check-out OK, I'll post more information...

Ray

Back