Any Internal Threading/Grooving Bar Recommendations?

OK, this struggle is almost over... I decided to go with the Carmex line of tools............

Ray

Ray,
I thought you had lost it when I clicked on Carmex and up pops lip balm! I did find the right link here: http://www.carmex.com/

Let us know the cost information also.

Thanks,
Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Last edited:
I decided to go with the Carmex line of tools.

Ray

Good choice Ray! ;)

I've been very happy with mine, inserts & parts are available through many vendors, & prices are better than Seco.

Benny,

For now, I'm going with a 10mm external shank holder, 10mm internal threading bar and 10 each external/internal inserts. I went with some high-end inserts that have a nice positive rake and top relief. I've never seen that on a carbide threading insert. They supposedly require 50% less SFM which is a nice thing after a couple cups of coffee and the hand gets jittery on the release lever. The external holder has a set screw to change the angle of the insert. That was another new one on me. I'm into this for 200 bucks so far. Darn inserts are 6 bucks each. If this were purchased at MSC, it would be well over 500.

If I like these, I'll get some of the 3/8 IC threading and boring bars-which should handle everything I normally do. Right now, I went with the 1/4" IC stuff to finish some decorative containers. I'd also like to try their general profile threading inserts.

Will,

Don't be afraid to throw a suggestion my way... You got any idea how many hours I spent researching this stuff?

Ray

You got any idea how many hours I spent researching this stuff?

Ray

Ray, believe me, I can definitely relate! I've spent a great deal of time (& money) in the past trying to get familiarized with insert & holder designations. It's gets easier & I can get by now with ASNI codes on what I'm looking to get but then different manufactures will have their own insert grades & chipbreaker designations. Then you eventually learn their ISO equivalents when searching on ebay for deals. Coffee helps here too!

For what I've been doing 1/4 IC is what I use for internal & 3/8 IC for external. Inserts may sound expensive but seriously they last a long time for non production work as I mentioned in the other reply.

Last edited:
............. Darn inserts are 6 bucks each. If this were purchased at MSC, it would be well over 500.................. You got any idea how many hours I spent researching this stuff?

Ray

Ray,

Thanks for the feedback on your solution to your question. I think we are all trying to learn this stuff.

I always seem to take what I think is the cheap route and buy used stuff at what I think are bargain prices. Then I find the company that made the tool has gone out of business or has been bought up and the name changed. You can spend hours tring to find out the specs on what you have bought and where to get replacement inserts. I found some listings of inserts online for the two holders I have for $35 and up. I think sometimes the online sellers take advantage of lack of information on the old name brands. You have probably done the right thing with going new from a known supplier.

H-M forum member Philco has told me that one of my holders made by the Teledyne is now branded "Stellram" located in Lavergne, TN. That is just a few miles away. It's a small world but it sure is hard to keep up with the changes.

Benny

Benny,

Yeah man... Going cheap often costs more in the long run. In general though, I was just impressed by the clarity of information with the Carmex stuff and furthermore, the dealer I found was good to work with. He emailed responses with direct (and correct) answers to my questions. I can't comment on the quality of the tools but but, I'm hopeful this is a decent product line. The Dealer's name is Avi with an eBay store (http://stores.ebay.com/Carbide-Discount?_trksid=p2047675.l2563). I think they do direct sales but am not certain. I'll try to find-out.

In your case 20, 30+ bucks for inserts will kill your margins. I couldn't keep doing what I do at that cost and I hope you find some compatible ones that don't break the bank.

Ray

ps: Check the Carmex USA site and look at the catalog. Lot's of information there and I think these guys have covered all the bases! http://www.carmexusa.com/

Ray,

Thanks for the feedback on your solution to your question. I think we are all trying to learn this stuff.

I always seem to take what I think is the cheap route and buy used stuff at what I think are bargain prices. Then I find the company that made the tool has gone out of business or has been bought up and the name changed. You can spend hours tring to find out the specs on what you have bought and where to get replacement inserts. I found some listings of inserts online for the two holders I have for $35 and up. I think sometimes the online sellers take advantage of lack of information on the old name brands. You have probably done the right thing with going new from a known supplier.

H-M forum member Philco has told me that one of my holders made by the Teledyne is now branded "Stellram" located in Lavergne, TN. That is just a few miles away. It's a small world but it sure is hard to keep up with the changes.

Benny

Back