Any Ultron Snap Change users out there?

AiR_GuNNeR

Registered
Registered
I picked up an Ultron kit recently, (sadly without instructions), and have had no luck contacting someone at the company for a pdf instruction file. Their contact page on the website does not work and their phone goes to FAX after a few unanswered rings.
Anyone out there that can help out?
Thanks,
Eric

I pretty much have it figured out, but the website instructions are pretty vague.
I was also hoping for an instruction manual I could download as well.
I have a J had so it looks like I need to make a stand-off to mount it but I wanted to ask the owner if the riser is available ready made for the J head.

I use the Ultron Snap Change system and have some literature that was sent to me by Ultron a few years ago. I believe I have installation instructions. Let me dig through my files and see specifically what I have.

Thanks Tom! No reply back yet from Ultron.
I've got the Falcon system right now which I like well enough.
I was intrigued by the low stick-out of the Ultron system and I ended up putting in a low ball offer on a 20pc Ultron set on eBay on a lark during an eBay 15% off promo. To my surprise it was accepted so I got an extra $100 off with the promo as well.

I think the owner has retired. Last I spoke with him was about five years ago and at that time he was working with his son to take over the business.

I like my Ultron system! The low stickout is a definite plus. My system is installed on a PM-932 mill converted to CNC. It's a relatively light weight machine but performs well enough for my needs. I had to make an adapter/spacer to replicate the length through the head of a Bridgeport to get mine to work. It wasn't a big deal just took some time and material.

I've attached a sales brochure, User's Manual, and setup sheets that I hope will be useful to you. The setup sheets are specific to my installation so may not apply to your installation. I provided the setup sheet info to Ultron and they made me a drawbar spacer to get the through head length correct rather than cutting and rethreading the drawbar.

If you have any further questions or need more user feedback let me know.

Attachments

• Ultron Brochure.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 31
  • Ultron User Manual.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Ultron Setup Sheets.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Thanks Tom!
I had the Smithy version of your square column mill, (still do and need to get around to selling it). I ended up making a riser for mine as well to hold a Kurt power drawbar. Very nice job on yours. That's a clean setup!
Eric

I have the Ultron system setup now. It works pretty slick! I'm thinking of buying a cheap chinese ER20 -R8 tool holder to cut down and see how tough it will be to make my own tool holders. I'm thinking of simply threading a hold in the end so I can easily adjust the pull stud to the correct offset, loctiting it in place.
I also just bought a nice 2" face mill mounted to an Ultron Super holder. Any idea how Ultron's super drive mounts to the spindle? Compression fitting, pinch screw, etc? Shouldn't be too hard to make one of those.
Eric

I have the Ultron system setup now. It works pretty slick! I'm thinking of buying a cheap chinese ER20 -R8 tool holder to cut down and see how tough it will be to make my own tool holders. I'm thinking of simply threading a hold in the end so I can easily adjust the pull stud to the correct offset, loctiting it in place.
I also just bought a nice 2" face mill mounted to an Ultron Super holder. Any idea how Ultron's super drive mounts to the spindle? Compression fitting, pinch screw, etc? Shouldn't be too hard to make one of those.
Eric

You will like it more as you use it. The Ultron system was the best tooling purchase I've made for my mill.

I don't have a clue how the Super Drive mounts to the spindle.

I've made a few holders myself. Here's a pic of a face mill arbor I made from an R8 arbor. I also made a couple of drill chuck arbors. The ER20 holder won't work as the through hole is about 1/2". I tried! What you can do is buy a straight shank ER holder and use it in one of your Ultron set screw holders. That's what I did.

That looks like a clean job on tool holder. Did you build a fixture to help out in placing/machining the bottom of the pull stud relative to the taper?

Back