Any Ultron Snap Change users out there?

That looks like a clean job on tool holder. Did you build a fixture to help out in placing/machining the bottom of the pull stud relative to the taper?

Yes, I machined a collar with a internal R8 taper then took precise measurements from the end of a Ultron toolholder. Using these measurements I machined the arbor pull stud features slightly short. Then I lightly skim cut the R8 taper until the measurement from the end of the pull stud to my fixture was the same as the measurement taken from the Ultron holder. I'll post some pictures today that shows what I'm trying to explain.

Here's pictures of the fixture/measuring jig I referenced in my post above. Hope this is helpful.

The bore is a R8 taper that fits over the tool holder. Oh, and I got my CNC lathe operational today so I snuck in a shot of my first attempt. The gcode needs a little tweeking but most importantly the taper fits my spindle perfectly.

The measuring jig facilitates accurately measuring the pull stud end dimensions in relation to the taper.

Both parts look great.
I made several Tormach style type tool holders in the past . In order to get the bore concentric, I machine them in place.
I first made the hole .020 undersize on the lathe. Then I mounted it in my C&C mill and with a small carbide boring bar held vertical, machined the hole out to within .005”. Then I use a reamer to finish the sizing.
I wish I had access to a CNC lathe. I may try using the mill has a lathe with really light cuts.

Did you make the collet and the fixture out of 4140? Nice finish on those. Where they ground as well?
Eric

Did you make the collet and the fixture out of 4140? Nice finish on those. Where they ground as well?
Eric

The fixture is made of 4140 pre-hard. It's what I had on hand. Any material would work as it's for measuring only. The "collet" was machined from aluminum. It was a test piece only to see how my gcode worked out. As you can tell from the picture I have some work to do in that regard. No grinding done on either part. Ultimately I will make the tool holders from some sort of pre-hardened alloy steel.

Back