Anybody recommend Dandy Drawers?

They should work great. My father-in-law worked with a plastic-shooter years ago on an automotive part project. They also molded trays for refrigerators; they gifted him at least 50 of them. My wife learned how to use a table saw cutting dado's in 1-bys for the drawer glides. He screwed through the shelf down into the 1-bys, those drawers worked great.

Bruce

I've been using these. Hold heavy weight, easy to mass produce and assemble. Inexpensive (at least before inflation)

1/4" hardboard bottom, sides and backs cut per desired content height. Glued together with Sho-Goo. No clamping and easy side supports cut on table saw or miter. Very space saving!
Aaron
DSCF4983.JPGDSCF4984.JPGDSCF4985.JPGDSCF4989.JPGDSCF4990.JPG

what items are you mainly seeking storage for?

I've been using these. Hold heavy weight, easy to mass produce and assemble. Inexpensive (at least before inflation)

1/4" hardboard bottom, sides and backs cut per desired content height. Glued together with Sho-Goo. No clamping and easy side supports cut on table saw or miter. Very space saving!
Aaron
View attachment 412461View attachment 412462View attachment 412463View attachment 412464View attachment 412465
Nice execution Aaron. Basically, the Dandy Drawers but in wood and purpose built. This may change my mind on the time hangup.
what items are you mainly seeking storage for?
Basically what you see in Aaron's post above. Just the stuff in my shop I want to keep but need to keep it organized.

@vtcnc

I like what Aaron has done a lot, but I have a suggestion for you to consider.

The drawer construction is great as pictured. For the uprights, instead of pre-cutting all those uniformly spaced slots, cut cleats and glue/screw/nail as required to the side panels at whatever spacing you want for the next drawer. That would allow for building various height drawers on the fly (to best match the specific contents) rather than conforming to a certain height increment. YMMV

Regarding plastic containers, IMO, they are OK if they sit on a solid surface/shelf. If not, the bottoms will fail in time. Everything I own seems to be too heavy.

@vtcnc

instead of pre-cutting all those uniformly spaced slots, cut cleats and glue/screw/nail as required to the side panels at whatever spacing you want for the next drawer.
I've done it that way also :)

instead of pre-cutting all those uniformly spaced slots, cut cleats and glue/screw/nail as required to the side panels at whatever spacing you want for the next drawer.
I like the variable height drawers, and like rack mount equipment, you can have drawers in multiples of the one unit high drawers…as they say in the IT world, 1U, 2U, etc.

That would work automatically with the simple saw kerf design.

I never heard back from the company. I would say they are kaput. It's a shame. Appears to be a good product at first blush.

I made some like Aaron's but smaller. Here are some pictures of the build mostly of my son doing the hand sawing and chiseling to make all of the slots for the joints:

IMG_2746.JPG

IMG_2747.JPG

A stack of glued drawers:
IMG_2779.JPG

All fitted up in the carcass:

IMG_2795.JPG

Now, how to open them?

IMG-2860.JPG

Made a bunch of brass knobs

The fronts and sides of the drawers are 1/4" maple, the bottoms are 1/8" maple ply. The fronts are about 1-1/4" high and the inside depth is about 1". This little under bench cabinet is perfect for tooling, calipers, dividers, etc. I already filled about 6 of the 10 drawers.

IMG-2862.JPG

IMG-2861.JPG

Back