Anyone Familiar With Baileigh Cold Saws?

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I have a chance to purchase a Baileigh cs-350 cold saw for an extremely attractive price. This is a 14" saw with variable speeds from 24 to 120 rpm. The saw is in good shape except for a broken handle on the vise. It's a 3hp 220-volt single phase machine that came out of a steel supply house. It has spent its life cutting stock for customer orders. It's dirty and needs a good cleaning but seems to function well.

Does anyone have experience with these saws. I'm looking to use it to replace a Black & Decker 14" chop saw that has been modified to cut small ferrous and nonferrous stock

If the price is right go for it.

Can’t say for the brand but cold saw is much better than a friction blade.

John

Baileigh are normally good quality tools, for a good price I would not hesitate. Take a look at their website and see if the same saw is still offered and compare the price.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I have one of their small swiveling band saws, and I like it. Bought it used at a good price. New their stuff seems overpriced to me. Mike

Baileigh are normally good quality tools, for a good price I would not hesitate. Take a look at their website and see if the same saw is still offered and compare the price.

The saw I'm looking at is a model cs-350. It's still in the current lineup, and a new one goes for $5,775.00. I would guess this one was built in the late 1980's or early 1990's. It was replaced by a larger automated version. It comes with a new blade that normally sells for a little over $300.00. The asking price is only a little more than the price of the new blade.

I talked to the owner late this evening and will meet him tomorrow for a final inspection. If all goes well, I'll make the purchase. I'll have to make arrangements for pickup at a later date. We're going to be out of town for the next couple weeks

I highly disagree with the quality tool part. We have several purchased at work, gear head drill, band saw, sheet metal shear and brake. Its low end china stuff at mid grade Taiwanese prices.

I would guess this one was built in the late 1980's or early 1990's.

Seems to me that this particular one has shown itself to be a reliable machine. Maybe the newer stuff is of lesser quality.

I highly disagree with the quality tool part. We have several purchased at work, gear head drill, band saw, sheet metal shear and brake. Its low end china stuff at mid grade Taiwanese prices.
That is the first negative report I have seen on it.

When I first looked at the saw the name sounded familiar. A little research found they were originally designed and manufactured in Wisconsin. Here's a blurb from an article when the company was sold to JPW Industries. As an FYI JPW owns names like Jet, Powermatic, Wilton, Edwards, and Promac.

"They design and manufacture “made-in-the-USA” metalworking equipment. Current Baileigh operations reside in Manitowoc and Two Rivers, both in Wisconsin. For the time being, all things will remain the same, in Wisconsin." Here's a link to the article:

After the sale to JPW some of the manufacturing went overseas. It appears the engineering and design is still done in Manitowoc. The particular machine I'm looking at is obviously newer than I originally guessed. The company was founded in 1999. I'll have more information later in the morning.

I bit the bullet yesterday afternoon and purchased the saw. I didn't see it run but do have a guarantee from the seller that if it won't fire up with a minimum of effort, he will take it back. I've done business with this seller for over 20 years and have never been disappointed. Only one time did I purchase a machine from him that took more than a cleaning. That one time I purchased an older Kellogg 2 stage compressor. As it turned out it had a bad unloader, and no parts were available. I ended up replacing the original with a Load Genie, and the compressor is still working fine. On a later visit to his shop, he asked how the compressor worked out. I mentioned I had to replace the unloader, but all worked out well. As a courtesy he gave me a new Albrecht keyless chuck.

As for the cold saw he delivered it to the family cottage yesterday afternoon. It will reside in the garage for a few weeks while the wife and I head to Kearney Nebraska. The wife is a big birder and has been looking forward to seeing the Sandhill Crane migration through the western flyway. That will take a couple weeks so the machine will be waiting for our return. Hopefully when we get back the snow will have melted enough to get the machine loaded on the trailer and home.

Right now, it's a filthy mess, and in a position where it's almost impossible to get pictures. I'll try to get a few, but don't hold your breath. I'll probably have to move it to the trailer before that can be done.

Back