Anyone having trouble buying stuff?

I was in an oddly similar situation. I ordered an AXA-4D in December in order to build an ER-40 chuck. Waited a couple weeks and emailed, got the two weeks out story. Waited a month and emailed again (which was this Tuesday) Still two weeks out, but I was given the option to switch to the AXA-4. I received it yesterday.

I would have preferred the 4D, but the bar is in the lathe drilled and ready to bore.

According to the Aloris rep, the machine that makes AXA-4D's is down, expected back up two weeks from now.

I was in an oddly similar situation. I ordered an AXA-4D in December in order to build an ER-40 chuck. Waited a couple weeks and emailed, got the two weeks out story. Waited a month and emailed again (which was this Tuesday) Still two weeks out, but I was given the option to switch to the AXA-4. I received it yesterday.

I would have preferred the 4D, but the bar is in the lathe drilled and ready to bore.

According to the Aloris rep, the machine that makes AXA-4D's is down, expected back up two weeks from now.
I have an AXA-4 clone, so I can use it, but wanted a 4D. Think I'm just going to make a 4D style holder for my 1/2" carbide shank boring bar. Won't be as nicely finished as a real one, but at least I'll have one. Fortunately, I have a nice chunk of steel for it.

I could just make a sleeve, but I am nervous about high contact forces against the carbide bar. Really don't want to risk breaking the bar, as a replacement is expensive.

Wonder what's broken that's unique to the 4D? The slitter? Otherwise, a 4D is almost the same as a 4.

^^^
Not around here. I check Craig's list everyday for the past 18 months for a 48" one.
Sadly, Craigslist is not what it used to be, Facebook Marketplace has taken over as the leading forum for selling secondhand items, locally.

Of course this is bad for the reseller and manufacturer too. Expenses continue, revenue stops. The pressure inside the company to “do something” can be intense and cost careers. Nobody wins.

Of course this is bad for the reseller and manufacturer too. Expenses continue, revenue stops. The pressure inside the company to “do something” can be intense and cost careers. Nobody wins.
Agreed. Spiraling mess. Not happy about this. Makes it hard on a manufacturer or reseller when orders get churned (placed and canceled), because they can't figure out the real demand. But I'd sure like one of these holders. Going to give Ajax a call. If they physically have one, I'll place the order.

AXA-4D holder ?

Just called. Ajax has no AXA-4D's in stock. Ajax did state Aloris does have an issue with manufacturing the AXA-4D's and won't be shipping until February at the earliest. Ajax does have AXA-4's, but not AXA-4D's.

Back