Anyone here actually used Moglice on a lathe saddle?

What I meant by rotisserie is just a means to rotate the saddle over with the minimum of handling. The rotisserie was a rod that went through where the cross-feed screw normally goes. The rod was like 3’ long. Then I used a couple of 6’ or 8’ chokers to choke around the rods at each end. The chokers then went up to the gantry hoist hook with a small spreader to give enough clearance for the chokers to clear the wings of the saddle. This allows you to turn the saddle upside down directly on top of where it is going to go, apply the Moglice, lift it straight up, rotate it over and then straight down – a minimum of fuss. The point of using the gantry for this setup is to maintain control, not necessarily speed.

I also had a couple of wood blocks clamped to the ways where the saddle front would ride against so as to locate it lengthwise on the bed. This way there was no chance I would miss where the location of the tape for the oil grooves would be.
Brilliant. My lathe has wheels on it and the hoist is on a trolley that runs the full width of my shop. I also like the idea of the wooden stop blocks on the bed to reposition it in the same place. Like I said simple but Brilliant.

Back