Anyone here an expert on machining phenolic?

I have fly cut it and scraped and it is a pain plus it stinks. Dangerous too as you need to wear a dust mask of a respirator. I would also wear a face shield and use a vacuum to suck up the fabric as it cuts or grinds off. I checked and there is all sorts of info on Google too.

1941? Is that an L-2 you're working on? Let's see a pic.
BC12-65, most of the L2's were tandem seating (front and rear) my airplane is side by side. I also help out a few others around the country. Since these are not supported, I am trying to be one of the Go To guys for parts. If I have the ability to make or source some things, it will keep them flying for decades to come. This pic was in 2006, I have done a lot of painting since then and installed a few more farings. I also have a lot more gray hair on my head and in my beard.

I worked at a large motor shop for many years and machined tons of phenolic. Only thing I can add to what everyone else has mentioned is, have a shop vac handy.

It's great that you can make parts for them since they're getting pretty old (like some of us!)
It sounds like you've owned your BC for quite a few years. Nice looking plane.

I used to fly out of a club that had T-Crafts: we had a pre-war BC, an L-2 and later, an F-19. Here's a pic of the BC with the L-2
in the background.

That is a nice looking 1940 model, it has the flipper on the lower, below the H-stab for trim. It looks like it is still registered.

If I remember correctly, it's from 1939, but yes, it has the pre-war trim tab. That pic was taken in about 1980, so
I don't know what it's status is now. In the club, students would solo in the L-2 and then do their X-country flights
in the BC because it cruised faster... :)

Does yours have a 65 Continental in it, or do you have something bigger?

I still hand prop, went from a 65 to a o-200 that was a -8. the extra 35 horsepower is nice for takeoff in the mountains. I flew it to Alaska in 2006, flew it home in 2014. It has been sitting ever since. I had a few other projects that I have been working on but I am slowly getting it back up to flight standards. I also added Vortex generators, Toe brakes, big baggage, real mufflers for heat. It runs nice. Compressions last fall were 80/80 on all of the cylinders. I also added a Marvel Schebbler carburetor so I can have a mixture. I am now needing to recover the horizontals and elevators, they were covered in 98 and the Alaska winters were not easy on it. Temps were -60 up to 100 degrees. It sure flies good. I was able to cruise 104 kts if I pushed it. Normal is about 80 kts. Having a metal propeller really enhances the performance. Tim

Sounds like a great airplane! Kind of a build your own F-19 deal I guess, though I imagine a bit lighter. Did you leave
the starter and battery out to save weight? The F-19 that we had didn't cruise as fast as yours, though I
think it had more of a climb prop it it. It would be great to see pics of yours when you get it back in the air. I imagine
there are lots of strips in Utah to fly into with it.

Here's the F-19 with another BC, a Piper and a Stinson. The airport is Mack Mesa,
near Grand Junction.

Last edited:
Back