Anyone Know About Friction Welding? AKA Making a New Vise Screw

It also takes a good sized motor to be able to generate enough frictional heat to reach welding temperatures.
As well as a reasonable amount of pressure . I'll take a film tonight of our process . I would be interested in putting some aluminum in one of the lines to see if it would weld . :)

I had a YZ125 that friction welded the crank solid. Does that count?
:grin: I've was thrown off the YZ250 one too many times before going with the 4 wheelers .

I'm going to experiment with it a bit and see what happens...

I'd assume friction welding is a production process used because it's cheaper/faster than other methods. It'll be interesting to see how you rig up for it and what the results are.

John

I don't understand what is so hard about welding it. You don't need a rotary positioner just because it's round. Just clamp it upright in your vise and... oh, ok now I get it.
You are right, it wouldn't be too hard to rig a welding fixture for it, and I do have other vises. I guess I just want to try a new technique and see if it can be accomplished.

You are right, it wouldn't be too hard to rig a welding fixture for it, and I do have other vises. I guess I just want to try a new technique and see if it can be accomplished.
I get that. I often do things Unconventional ways just because it's less boring. I am curious to see your friction welding result but my prediction is that unless you have a fairly large (by hobbyist standards) lathe you will find that the amount of pressure required to friction weld something of that size is more than you'll be comfortable Subjecting your lathe to.

Back