Anyone Know What Make This Mill Is??

MarkStephen

Active User
Registered
I found this mill on CL and the guy doesn't seem to know all that much about it. Says it comes with collets, drill chuck and clamps. Looks like it has a round column. Kind of a mix match? Anyone have an idea of what it is? The price is rather compelling if it's any good at all.

Thank's for looking, Mark

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, couldn't figure out just where it should be. Please move and inform if i got it wrong. Thanks.

IMG_0318.JPG

my guess would be an RF40 or equivalent, which is a gearhead version of the ubiquitous RF31 round column belt head mill. Same basic architecture, just levers to change speeds instead of futzing with belts. As far as I'm aware it's equivalent in all other aspects (with their pros and cons), although they seem to be offered for a bit more money. What sort of money are you looking at? Depending on region, around $800 would be a fair price in good condition with tooling.

I agree with Matt
I have a friend with a RF40 and it is very similar
they were built by Rung-fu in Thailand and well made for their cost.
Steve

Thanks guys, doing a little research now. I might stuff some cash in my pocket and take the drive to go look at it.

@ mattthemuppet, The guy is asking less than half of that. :)

you're welcome! I'm assuming that the car/ truck engine is warming up as I write?? I'd be all over that for $400 - even if you outgrew it or got fed up with the round column, you'd easily make your money back. It's going to be around 600-750lb though, so be prepared!

Yea, the 600 lbs thing is what has me taking pause. If I go for it, I'll probably need to disassemble it to be able to load it up and bring it home to the basement. Just be one move ahead as i would probably do that anyway, to clean it all up and check it all out. it's a lot bigger than i really have room for and need, but the price... i might have to make some room.

any chance of getting/ borrowing a 1 ton hoist? that would make your life a lot easier, then you can disassemble it at your leisure in your garage.

No, there does not appear to be.

I think I'm going to pass on this one. After sleeping on it, it's just too much of the wrong type of mill for me. If any one is interested, here is the CL listing for it - http://limaohio.craigslist.org/tls/4902634961.html - It might make someone a nice mill, but not me.

I'm really after something around the size of a Taig / X1/X2. The thing I am finding puzzling is with all the X1 units sold by HF, they are very hard to find, and when you do find one, the price is more than when it was new. Oh well, the search continues.

Mark

When you see the HF Mini Mills for more than the HF price what do they come with for tooling?

You can easily spend 3 x the price of the mill on tooling.

They just might actually be a good deal.

Back