Anyone know where I can find an ER20 plain back collet chuck?

RaisedByWolves

Mangler of grammar, off my meds.
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This style.

tumblr_nix8hl9lNt1t3n97oo1_1280.jpg

I bought a really nice high accuracy er20 collet set and I want to mount this style collet chuck on my mill, but for the life of me I can’t find this style.

Er16, er25, er32,er40 are all over, but no er20.

Wrong item- those are R8
ER20 is kind of rare, it seems to jump from 16 to 25 for aftermarket stuff I've noticed

Last edited:
You said you wanted an ER20 collet chuck for your mill. You didn’t specify what your mill spindle was, so I assumed it was R8. If you want help finding what you need, please be more specific.

Consider the Tormach TTS tooling system. The advantage is that with multiple ER collets, you don't have to rezero your tooling when removed and reinserted. The system consists of a 3/4" R8 collet and ER chucks with 3/4" shanks. The R8 collet face is modified so that it sits within about .050" from the face of the spindle. When the collet is closed, it draws the collet chuck into close contact with the spindle face in a manner that is accurate and reproducible.

With this system, the ER collet chucks can be preloaded with tooling and tool offsets determined. This can be done off the machine and setting the machine zero only needs be done once. Aside from ER chucks, end mill holder, boring heads, drill chuck adapters, etc. are available. If you want to use R8 collets or tooling it is as simple as pulling the 3/4" collet.

While I haven't heard of it being done, I would expect that it would be possible to adapt to MT3 or MT4 spindles too.

I bought the TTS system when I bought my Tormach mill but I quickly realized the advantages and set my RF30 clone up for it as well.

Amazon also has straight shank ER20 collet chucks (this one is Acusize):

IMG_5741.jpeg

Or Cat40 ER20 (0.0001” stated TIR):

IMG_5742.jpeg
This item is a 4 piece set, I’m sure you can find just one.

You said you wanted an ER20 collet chuck for your mill. You didn’t specify what your mill spindle was, so I assumed it was R8. If you want help finding what you need, please be more specific.
You made the assumption here, been in the trades for 37yrs and I specified EXACTLY what I was looking for. I get that this makes you feel silly, but there's no need to be nasty to me.

I thought plain back and a actual picture would give people a clue. Is the picture not showing?

Thanks for your......help.....I guess?

Penn tool.

Last edited:
Consider the Tormach TTS tooling system. The advantage is that with multiple ER collets, you don't have to rezero your tooling when removed and reinserted. The system consists of a 3/4" R8 collet and ER chucks with 3/4" shanks. The R8 collet face is modified so that it sits within about .050" from the face of the spindle. When the collet is closed, it draws the collet chuck into close contact with the spindle face in a manner that is accurate and reproducible.

With this system, the ER collet chucks can be preloaded with tooling and tool offsets determined. This can be done off the machine and setting the machine zero only needs be done once. Aside from ER chucks, end mill holder, boring heads, drill chuck adapters, etc. are available. If you want to use R8 collets or tooling it is as simple as pulling the 3/4" collet.

While I haven't heard of it being done, I would expect that it would be possible to adapt to MT3 or MT4 spindles too.

I bought the TTS system when I bought my Tormach mill but I quickly realized the advantages and set my RF30 clone up for it as well.
Absolutely would not fit for this application.

The pic in the OP is the only style I can use as it needs to be bolted to the mill spindle similar to how it would mount to a lathe spindle.

Strange setup, but it is what it is.

Anyone wondering whi I didnt call out the machine in question, well you have probably never seen one.

Not trying to be cryptic, but if it were a simple matter of finding the right tool I wouldnt have needed to ask the question as presented.

Its to be fitted to this spindle.

IMG_3186[1].JPG

56mm flange IIRC and would most likely need a backing plate.

Thread on this mill.

I see where you're coming from now. That is indeed a strange spindle mount. Given your vocation, I'm sure you will figure it out.. It is a shame that you couldn't use the TTS system though. IMO, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I see where you're coming from now. That is indeed a strange spindle mount. Given your vocation, I'm sure you will figure it out.. It is a shame that you couldn't use the TTS system though. IMO, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Definitely a nice system, but the buy in cost is likely more than I have into the whole project. I appreciate your input.

These little machines are vary well made, but finding the tooling is hit or miss, mostly miss.

The spindle on mine only has an Mt1 taper. later models had an Mt2 but even at that they were meant for drill chucks and they used a rather strange and obscure collet chuck for the spindle to hold endmills and such.

Heres a pic I stole from elsewhere. The factory chuck took a spacialized collet and all Ive heard about the arraingment was that this was not a great arraignment, but I don't know anything more.

i-F25njFs-X4.jpg

Back