Anyone know where I can get a thrust bearing for a Hardinge Sjogren speed chuck?

Can you match it with a standard thrust bearing? Anything from Hardinge will be costly.

The parts diagrams I have seen, it looks to be an axial deep groove ball bearing. I doubt they used a custom bearing for that, take measurements of the OD, ID and width to see if it’s inch or metric based, then you should be able to find something at one of the bearing distributors. McMaster-Carr has some of those as well and might have one that fits.

Its an odd size. 2.735" OD with 1.900" ID and a single race . A standard 2.75" bearing will not fit in the 2.743" bore

Applied Industrial Technologies, Inc. Used to be Bearings, Inc. They have access to bearings you never heard of. Check them out on the web and maybe give them a call.

With that type of bearing, the bore is usually a bit larger than nominal and the OD smaller, so that could be a 1-7/8 x 2-3/4. If you have a bearing distributor nearby, they would be able to cross reference it. McMaster unfortunately only goes up to a 1.5” bore. Is one of the chuck parts hardened that it runs on with only one race?

A standard 2.75" bearing will not fit in the 2.430" bore
I’m not sure what you are referring to here, what has a 2.43” bore?

With that type of bearing, the bore is usually a bit larger than nominal and the OD smaller, so that could be a 1-7/8 x 2-3/4. If you have a bearing distributor nearby, they would be able to cross reference it. McMaster unfortunately only goes up to a 1.5” bore. Is one of the chuck parts hardened that it runs on with only one race?

I’m not sure what you are referring to here, what has a 2.43” bore?
You got it before I edited it. Fast. Its a 2.743 bore. The single race in the chuck is cracked and the balls and cage are worn out.
Yes, it has a hardened body in the chuck. A few thousandths one way of the other I can grind the race to size. Im just not finding anything close.

My experience as an engineer working with bearings inc/ applied industrial is that they can only find something oddball like this if you tell them where to get it. The race is especially "different" it has no grooves for the balls.

Im probably looking at a $150 bearing from the OEM . Its just if Sjogrens distributor can even get one. I need one .The price doesn't matter all that much,

Last edited:
Ok, that makes more sense on the bore. I have seen some ball thrust bearings with flat races, I’m not sure why they do that, but most in the catalogs are the deep groove style.

Yeah, the abilities of bearing distributors can be quite variable. Schaeffler (INA, FAG, Barden) is located in Ft. Mill. INA does quite a bit in inch sizes, my catalog doesn’t show any of the inch sizes, but if you call the applications engineering department, they might be able to help.

Www.schaeffler.us

Back