Anyone know where I can get a thrust bearing for a Hardinge Sjogren speed chuck?

Not too worried about the taces. They look better than whats currently there. They are actualy fine looking outside of the backage . The balls I could use though

Last edited:
That is a first for me, I don’t think I have ever seen a bearing supplied without the rolling elements!

Same here. A bearing without bearings isnt much of a bearing. So I got ahold of ATS . They want me to return the set under warranty on my dime. Really? They sent me an RMA. I'm going to Mexico on vacation next week. If, when I get back IF they have sent the right parts with balls I'll think about it. Otherwise I'll just buy some ball bearings. I need to get this thing running.

I did send them a request for a shipping label.

These companies are getting out of hand with requiring customers to pay return shipping on defective parts. And this one was so obvious their parts department has no excuse not to have picked that up prior to shipping. I hope they make you whole, if not, that is a company I won’t be considering buying from in the future.

When I was trying to figure out what bearing it was, I came across a post of someone that took his chuck apart and mentioned one of the races was stuck to the housing due to a build up of gunk. You may have a race that is stuck and looks like the housing is the second race, but it actually is a separate piece.
I thought your comment was constructive. I hope @wired will address it specifically.

is that a new type of bearing... supply your own balls? Those races don't look very nice.
The pieces are in plastic bags making it difficult for us to see the condition of the races. If they are ok, might @wired replace the balls and assemble the bearing if a new one is made of unobtainium?

The pieces are in plastic bags making it difficult for us to see the condition of the races. If they are ok, might @wired replace the balls and assemble the bearing if a new one is made of unobtainium?
Theyre fine. Im thinking about just picking up some 1/4 balls and running it. I dont have a lot of faith in ATS at this point to make me whole and balls I can get.

Mcmaster sells many many sizes (and materials) of bearing balls - metric and SAE.

Theyre fine. Im thinking about just picking up some 1/4 balls and running it. I dont have a lot of faith in ATS at this point to make me whole and balls I can get.
I have most of a package of 0.25” balls from McMaster left after replacing the balls in one of my chucks, if you let me know how many you need, I’ll send them for the cost of shipping.

Back