Anyone know where I can get a thrust bearing for a Hardinge Sjogren speed chuck?

@wired
FYI: I bought a used DA200 collet extension chuck. It has a thrust washer (~5/8" OD x ~3/8" ID) inside the nut (supposed to be non-rotating on the collet when the nut is torqued). The washer is still stuck in there, even after probably 40-60 hours of ultrasonic agitation and literally months of soaking in Acetone, Kroil, Easy Off, DMSO, etc.

More to the point, when I started the effort, after probably 40 hours of different soaks I decided to try heat. I soaked it in a toaster oven, set to 200F, for an hour or two then quenched it in Acetone, and alternately in Kroil, and let it soak.

I have no scientific proof one way or the other, but it has occurred to me that the heat may have served to cure (rather than degrade) whatever God awful polymer has materialized between the faying surfaces.

The washer is still stuck in there and I was lucky enough to buy a lot of 5 replacement nuts at a very reasonable price, so the stuck one has little value now. Getting that washer removed, cleaned and returned to full serviceability became a challenge that I wanted to conquer. However, I'm returning to my home base before Christmas and I'm thinking about how to mechanically (possibly destructively) separate the washer from the nut.

I hope that's helpful food for thought. YMMV. I hope your chosen process turns out fully satisfactory in short order.

At this point im thinking of just leaving that race in it. The other one takes the load and it was the one that was literally destroyed. The front race looks lfine.

Put it back together with the original front race which was in great shape. The back race was toast though and I picked up some ball bearings to replace the shot ones . Put it all together , cleaned up the chuck opening with some 800 grit sandpaper and was rewarded with .0002" runout.

Need a thrust bearing.
I have different brands will turn down bearing to odd size so have buy bear from them.
Now I have had do this in pass because it cheaper and faster.

Dave

I have different brands will turn down bearing to odd size so have buy bear from them.
Now I have had do this in pass because it cheaper and faster.

Dave
If it is a press it I have used a thin copper and pressed it in as a shim with good results.

Back