Anyone making .223 bullets with .22LR brass.

Top Flite Manufacturing offered a really good set up for less than $150 for making both 22 and 6mm bullets from 22 L.R. brass, but Corbin bought them out and Corbin continues to make Top Flites product but at an exagerated price. Top Flites idea was the best one yet, but I don't know if paying Corbin $800 would be worth the priviledge.

I am thinking that what I will learn from the experience of doing it my self will be worth twice what I will save. I have a hard time spending that kind of money for something I think I can make myself. Boring, reaming, threading, turning small diameters and to tolerances is great for practice too.

- - - Updated - - -

For rifle cases if you are annealing until you can see a glow from the metal you have gone too far and have created a dangerous softening in the case neck.

Do you think 750 to 800 would be hot enough. I think my new electric lead pot should get that hot. Thinking about filling it and bringing up to temp for about 30 minutes then dumping out on a cookie sheet to cool.

Top Flite Manufacturing offered a really good set up for less than $150 for making both 22 and 6mm bullets from 22 L.R. brass, but Corbin bought them out and Corbin continues to make Top Flites product but at an exagerated price. Top Flites idea was the best one yet, but I don't know if paying Corbin $800 would be worth the priviledge.
Drill a 15/64 inch hole in a 7/8X14 bolt. And using a 1/8 pipe taper reamer make a tapered entrance for the 22 case and screw it into your reloading press. Make 7/32 inch ram to push empty inverted 22 LR cases through the die lubed with dishwashing liquid. This easily removes the rim.

To get lead wire, it's easiest to make it yourself in a short core mold but if you have a hydraulic press, you can extrude short runs of lead wire with just swap of the end hole.

Personally I collect stick on wheel weights, roof flashing and other soft lead alloys. Melt them down and then cast into cores or blocks for later extrusion.

I find that's the easiest scrounge method.

You can also buy lead wire for in the neighborhood of $3-3.50/lb in 10-25 lb spools.

Depends on how much of the project you want to do.

If you do extrude the wire yourself, wear gloves. Getting lead to flow creates a lot if head from friction and the wire is hot enough to cause mild burns when it first comes out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I made a die to form the slugs that I will need and then made a mould that will make 7 slugs twicw as long as I need. Looking to get 14 slugs per pour. Have to find the pure lead for that.

Sounds like a interesting project. As you progress thur it some pictures would be nice so we can see how you are progressing

Making jackets from brass is a great way to cheapen your ammo costs.

223 rem brass becomes .375 bullets
7 mm magnum brass becomes .510 bullets for 50 bmg and the like.

9mm becomes 40 S&W bullets in .40 diameter

40 S&W brass becomes bullets for 45 acp

Brass works just fine as a jacket material and is far cheaper than gilding metal from the copper mills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Brass is however hard and I would think in magnum's it could cause excessive barrel ware. I could be wrong though just something I "Heard"

Brass is however hard and I would think in magnum's it could cause excessive barrel ware. I could be wrong though just something I "Heard"
You can shoot steel jackets and still have minimal wear. I've seen leaded steel solid bullets. There is more wear on paper with brass but in reality it matters little

Back