Anyone making .223 bullets with .22LR brass.

Most derim first and then anneal. I use my lead pot, fill and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes and then wet tumble to clean.

There ya go!! :)) probably not a bad way to go about it?

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Turbo,
I will try to get you some 223 brass as soon as the weather gets better, not too many shooters in the winter. I got my brass about 15 years ago and have not used that much of it as I got a lot. I will have to talk to some people that shoot 223 and do not reload. I have range duty 2 times a month at the club and that would be the time to get some before the other reloaders get there. How much do you want?
Paul

I know a few guys that make there own varmint bullets from .22lr brass, and they really go splat. There are sources for the lead wire to stuff in the brass. If you were a high volume varmint shooter, and had some spare time, I think this would be fun. I don't know the break even point, but some shoot several thousand rounds a year up in South Dakota and Wyoming. From what I have seen, they can be quite accurate. They are not match accurate, but plenty accurate for varmints.

- - - Updated - - -

Turbo,
I will try to get you some 223 brass as soon as the weather gets better, not too many shooters in the winter. I got my brass about 15 years ago and have not used that much of it as I got a lot. I will have to talk to some people that shoot 223 and do not reload. I have range duty 2 times a month at the club and that would be the time to get some before the other reloaders get there. How much do you want?
Paul

He is wanting to make "bullets", not brass.

Most derim first and then anneal. I use my lead pot, fill and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes and then wet tumble to clean.

Will a lead pot get hot (700 to 800) enough to anneal brass? I like this idea, just bought a new furnace.

- - - Updated - - -

Turbo,
Paul

I will take all you can spare since I have two rifles to feed and my son and nephew like to shoot. If I were to get too many on hand I have a couple of friends to pass them along to also. PM me when you get the chance.

- - - Updated - - -

I know a few guys that make there own varmint bullets from .22lr brass, and they really go splat. There are sources for the lead wire to stuff in the brass. If you were a high volume varmint shooter, and had some spare time, I think this would be fun. I don't know the break even point, but some shoot several thousand rounds a year up in South Dakota and Wyoming. From what I have seen, they can be quite accurate. They are not match accurate, but plenty accurate for varmints.

- - -

He is wanting to make "bullets", not brass.

I don't expect to make commercial quality bullets but think it would be fun to try to be close. When commercial is scarce I would be able to make my own. And also there is the learning curve on the machining side as well as the bullet design side. If Fred Huntinton (SP) never tried then we wouldn't have RCBS today.

I need the brass to launch the bullets.

Making jackets from brass is a great way to cheapen your ammo costs.

223 rem brass becomes .375 bullets
7 mm magnum brass becomes .510 bullets for 50 bmg and the like.

9mm becomes 40 S&W bullets in .40 diameter

40 S&W brass becomes bullets for 45 acp

Brass works just fine as a jacket material and is far cheaper than gilding metal from the copper mills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is not necessary to quench brass when annealing. Indeed,if you quench brass when it is too hot,it may crack or distort. We have to be careful of that when making brass master models in my wife's jewelry business.

As suggested,it would be a good idea to heat them up by the container full. But,I'd just dump them out onto a surface to cool,or remove the container and let it air cool. This is fact. Brass will be absolutely as soft if just left to air cool.

Certainly,it would be easier on the rifling in your gun if the brass was as annealed as possible. Now,for what I am NOT sure of: I don't really know,but is it o.k. for the life of your rifling,to use brass rather than copper?

Been kicking the idea around, saving my empty 22's...I used work for the company that bought out
speer...they got their start by recycling 22rf case's into .224 center-fire bullets, so it has been done (and could be done again). When ammo got thin a few yrs. back, I considered polishing down a Lee 22 swagging die to form the cup, but ran out of steam with the return of the bullet supplies.. best of luck to ya'

Top Flite Manufacturing offered a really good set up for less than $150 for making both 22 and 6mm bullets from 22 L.R. brass, but Corbin bought them out and Corbin continues to make Top Flites product but at an exagerated price. Top Flites idea was the best one yet, but I don't know if paying Corbin $800 would be worth the priviledge.

Back