Apprentice or New to the trade machinist . What should I have to start ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Over and over the same question . Lets do the thread . These tools would be what would be expected walking in the door or after a years time . This list is NOT for a shop owner or someone owning their own equipment , but for an employee starting out in the trade .

You will need some mathematical ability . If you don't have this , take up a different trade . Period . That's not to discourage anyone , it's a fact . Fractions , decimals , millimeters , angles , geometry , trigonometry , etc , it goes with the trade .

This thread won't be hijacked to lead you astray , I leave that to the moderators . Feel free to add comments but lets not confuse our newer members and possible future machinists .

I'm in the process of packing up a box for work , doing basic machining , thus I have this stuff out . Just thought it would be a good time to post this .

Last edited:
6 " scale . Comes with many different graduations . You'll end up with 5-10 of these .

IMG_9905.JPG

Calipers . 6" to start . Get bigger as you progress .

Call them Vernier , dial or digital . They do the same thing . As to what's the best and what do I need ? That's up to you and what you feel comfortable using . Each has advantages .

IMG_9906.JPG

0-3" micrometers . You can buy a set , or purchase singles off Ebay . Once again , there is no best . No need for carbide or ratchet / friction stops starting out . Those who think they're measuring accurately to the tenth are only fooling themselves . Buy what you can afford . This would show myself and a supervisor that " Hey , I'm a player " .

IMG_9907.JPG

A calculator . This is a must have . Trig functions are necessary . This is a TI-83 plus . It's totally useless to myself . I don't need to graph and play games . I grew up with a TI and it lasted until last year ( 30+years) and it finally literally fell apart .

A TI-30 solar powered calc is currently $2.50 at Walmart . At that price , my TI-30 cost me ……………………………………..well , it wasn't much .

IMG_9908.JPG

Hex keys . Commonly called Allen wrenches . All sorts of different makers and styles . L shaped , straight , T handled long and short etc . The one you need is never in the pack . You'll end up with all of them . Standard and metric . Metric is a PITA but is very common these days . Gotta live with it .

IMG_9910.JPG

Deburring tool . If you're new in the trade , trust me , you'll be using this . :rolleyes: Multiple angled blades included in the handle for removing machining burrs and skin from fingers .

IMG_9911.JPG

Open end box wrench set. From Pittsburgh (HF) to Armstrong and Snap-on . Once again , they do the same thing . 6 pt or 12 pt depending on what angles you have to work with . Never seen a wrench fail to this day , so buy what you want . ( ratchet wrenches and sockets don't apply to previous statement . That cheap $hit will bust your knuckles in a heartbeat ) But anyway , that's a ways off in the thread . Pics to follow , but I have to sleep . Work comes early ……………..or late actually .

I setup my student workstations with the tools I'd expect them to provide entry level. There are a few items like the calculator, and various keys and drivers that have been added since these photos were take. The top three drawers are all the same across the shop and the lower drawers are more machine specific. I've replaced the 25' tape for a 16', as my drawers are not very deep. I also have a small 12' flexible tape and 6" and 12" tap handles. I was shocked to learn how expensive apprentice tools run these days.

IMG-3768.JPG

IMG-3769.JPG

IMG-3770.JPG

Attachments

• Toolbox Layout.pdf
    261.4 KB · Views: 122
Back