AR15build - Do people only machine the lowers and sub the rest?

Thanks for all the responses so far. to reiterate and maybe clear up the air - this discussion was in reference to building an AR for one's own personal use - not for mass producing, or for building them for your neighbors (in which case I am 100% in agreement that lowers should be serialized and FFL/etc licensing should be practiced).

Once you successfully machine one, do four more for the same cost as one Over-The-Counter variety.

I know you can get a discount for 100 don't know about 4 I guess you could ask.

Paul

1. of you people that build ARs, do you machine any of the other components? or is it just the lower that gets to be machined (80%, 0%) ?
2. if so, what is the benefit of machining your own lower (considering cost of all other parts, the savings on machining your own lower seems insignificant to a certain degree)?
3. If you machine more than just the lower - what other components do you machine? is there a good reference to check for following through?

Thanks,
Sharon

1. i've seen builds for almost the entire AR for a match rifle but it'd be fairly cost prohibitive if you're build is for a standard AR. when you factor in the smithing involved, it's not too bad

2. there's zero monetary savings as with everything mass produced vs. limited run but personal accomplishment/satisfaction is priceless. i've seen some interesting rollmarks you'd otherwise never see.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

That's a nice one Paul. reminds me of my years in the service (except we didn't have a flat top).

Re: Rebuild - Do people only machine the lowers and sub the rest?

Thanks guys.

That's a nice one Paul. reminds me of my years in the service (except we didn't have a flat top).

They started us on M14 then in Nam got the M16, How ever I was the biggest guy in my squad so I got the 60 Cal. Now you talk about doing some damage those would walk and talk.

Had a chance to get one in 68 wish I would have now.

Paul

Re: Rebuild - Do people only machine the lowers and sub the rest?

They started us on M14 then in Nam got the M16, How ever I was the biggest guy in my squad so I got the 60 Cal. Now you talk about doing some damage those would walk and talk.

Had a chance to get one in 68 wish I would have now.

Paul

those are nice... heavy as hell. I was training with those, but luckily was personally assigned to lighter gear, at least until I joined the 82mm/120mm mortar support squad...

Back