[4]

Arbor Press

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Any arbor press recommendations? General small shop use.
Thanks.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
I don't have one, but I'd seriously look at the ratcheting ones. Don't know what size you are looking at.

gi_984

Active User
Search craigslist for old FAMCO or Dake arbor presses. Got my Famco 3 ton for around $100 if I remember right. About 1950's vintage. Much heavier/durable than the new imports. Came with the original platen (wheel with different size slots) and no hammer marks on the top of the ram. Also get one with a deep throat if possible. Really increases the size of the work piece that can be handled. Couldn't imagine using anything smaller. The one ton presses look like toys compared to it.
Avoid any that show abuse or missing the wheel. Good ones are out there. Takes a while but worth it. Use mine all the time.

ddickey

I was thinking 1-1.5 ton.
I was looking at a Dake but of course they are expensive.
I'll checkout CL.

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
i often wish my 3 ton was a 6 ton, never wished it was smaller.

Greg

dlane

Active User
I got a 3 ton and found the handle was always in the wrong position, milled off three teeth off bottom of ram , now I can have the handle at the right position when needed.

mikey

Active User
I suggest at least a 3-ton; you will need the space capacity. An option, although with less tactile feel and much slower in use, is a hydraulic press. They are cheaper and readily available.

ddickey

The only one of CL here is a Famco 2. $295
None on eBay within 100 miles.

Technical Ted

I've got an older USA made 2 ton. How big should you get? Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want a lot of power, maybe consider a hydraulic unit. For my "light duty" use, 2 ton is fine and maybe a 3 would be better, but if I want more power in my shop I will go hydraulic.

Ted

ddickey

At this time it is just to have one. Nothing planned except some bearings that will need pressing on a shaft.
I replaced my mill spindle's bearings without one. Would have been nice though to have one.

ddickey

Last edited:

EmilioG

Active User
Famco, Grenard, Balieigh and Dake are all nice but for general shop use, a simple Import will work just fine.
Ratcheting USA are very expensive unless you come upon a deal. JET and Dayton work OK, you need a cheater bar
for some press work. Readily available and not as expensive as USA vintage.

benmychree

John York
I looked for an arbor press for my home (retirement) shop; I had a large ratcheting arbor press in my working shop and was spoiled! I finally found one locally at an estate sale, a 3 ton Famco with floor stand; it is not ratcheting, but I like it mostly for its height of throat, about 12", high enough for most key broaches; I had to pay several hundred dollars for it, but it is worth it; they are not plentiful.

gi_984

Active User
DDdickey, keep looking. Took me almost 6 months. On CL click on the search nearby feature. Then select all the surrounding areas. As far as you are willing to drive. Really increases the number of potential opportunities.
Imports just as good? Please show me one with even close to the same amount of steel, thickness of the casting, etc. Mass and rigidity is necessary. I seriously doubt any of the imports I've seen will be around and still working decades later. Even the new Dakes are scrawny compared to the vintage ones. I know my Famco will belong to my grandkids one day.
Ratcheting feature is nice. The 3 ton we had at the community college was a ratcheting model. But as already mentioned.. you can modify a non-ratcheting model to easily reposition the handle by milling 2-3 bottom teeth off the ram. Works just fine.
I wouldn't turn my nose up at a nice vintage Greenerd. Never used one, but they look good in pictures. Seems most had round rams. Not sure how well it would work when broaching.

A hydraulic H press has its uses. I have a US made 55 ton press. But as previously mentioned SLOW! I rarely use it. Sits against the wall gathering dust with other more used equipment in front of it.

benmychree

John York
I had a round ram arbor press, and it was no problem to use it for broaching; the ram has plenty of bearing in the housing so that it does not tend to move around when broaching.

mikey

Active User

Reddinr

About a year ago I got an arbor press to do a few things now and then. Pressing a few pem nuts, bearings and so on. Because I wasn't going to use this tool often and because I have a hydraulic press, I went with a cheaper, non-ratchet one from Grizzly. I got a 2 ton "No 2" press. Not too expensive. It has worked well and I can just pull it out to the bench when needed as it is not god-awful heavy. The handle does seem to always be in the wrong position but I just use riser blocks under what I'm pressing to fix that problem. I'm sure there are better ones out there but for me, this one works.

Nogoingback

I was thinking 1-1.5 ton.
I was looking at a Dake but of course they are expensive.
I'll checkout CL.

+1 on a Famco. I got mine for about $100.00 on CL. They are very well built and if you can wait well worth it.

ACHiPo

Wow just did a search. Dake 3 T $1k new! I had no idea!

ddickey

The 1.5 ton is $400.
So you could buy 2 and save $200.
Oh wait. Maybe not. LOL

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
I use to use one at my last job. But it got old fast. To much like work. Replaced it with a hydraulic press and never looked back. At My present job I use a 100 ton press to broach keyways daily.

ddickey

Here's a pic of that Famco. I talked to the seller today and he will not budge on the price. I did find a few nice looking ones several hundred miles away but at this time I don't feel like travelling to buy one, yet.
1518141437063.png

Nogoingback

Looks like he put a $100.00 coat of paint on it. Mine's a 2 ton, but it looks just like it. If you have the time, keep looking. Everyone on
eBay is priced high, but something will turn up on CL.

Sleddog

Here's a pic of that Famco. I talked to the seller today and he will not budge on the price. I did find a few nice looking ones several hundred miles away but at this time I don't feel like travelling to buy one, yet.
I think you're in the Twin Cities area. If any of them are SW, I could pick it up for you. I'll be coming up there soon.

HarryJM

Registered
I have purchased two different pieces of metal working equipment off CL based on a "I want to purchase" ad. I usually include a generic picture of what I am looking for. I found and eventually purchased my Burke 126 horizontal mill that way. I was pickup up a vintage Craftsman power hacksaw from a CL "wanted to buy" ad and the guy showed me around his shop and he had a very nice Burke 126, so about 6 months latter I called him up and bought the Burke.

ddickey

Thanks Sleddog.
They were all east and south of here.
If I get a chance I'll check southwest of here.

ddickey

Never thought about that HarryJM.
Thanks for the idea.

gi_984

Active User
ddicky, I'd keep looking. That press is missing the planten (wheel.) Really reduces the usability in my opinion.

vocatexas

Registered
Machinerymax.com has on-line auctions up in your area fairly often. Last year they had one close to me (100 miles). I picked up an almost new Jet 3 ton arbor press for $80. Government Liquidators also has a lot of auctions up your way as well.

[6]
[5] [7]