Arbor Press

I have a 2 ton arbor press and a 20 ton hydraulic press. I like the arbor press for more delicate and light use. Like pressing a tapered hardened mandrel into the bore of a work piece to machine it between centers. You have no feel on a big hydraulic press. I also like it for pressing small pins, bearings, bushing, etc..

Ted

An arbor press comes in especialy handy for broaching keyways and removing small bearings from shafts. Essentially all the time it takes to do either is the amount of time you spend pulling on the handle. Most keyways can be broached in less than a minute.

A hydraulic press is certainly more powerful, but considerably slower.

I have a small arbor press. Really wanted something larger that I have. There was one at the auction I went to last week but it went for $250. However I did score a 12 ton hydraulic press for $50. It was shop made so I’m working on improvements. I did post a video on what I have done so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Just curious. Why an arbor press over a hydraulic H frame type press?"

A three ton arbor press is fast and easy to use. An old US made one is big enough to handle most of the jobs quickly. A hydraulic press is much bigger and obviously more powerful. But much slower.

Back