Are there any alternatives....

Harlech

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
To the big 3 micrometer / indicator manufacturers? I am just starting out, and don't want to lay several hundred dollars into a few mics and indicators straight off. I know there are some way cheap import stuff... I assume some is good to a degree, but I have no idea what import brands are OK quality wise, or even if there are any mid-price alternatives to Starrett / Brown & Sharpe / Mitutoyo.

Harlech

I would look for good used ones on ebay, flea markets, & locals ads. That's what I did instead of buying new Chinese imports. Some Chinese import brands do have some decent stuff though like Insize, Shars, igaging. Like one of these companies can have some tools that are decent but have others that are junk. Also some of the big name brands have economy line tools that are more affordable. Still I would buy used but that's me.

Some I have bought new but the majority of my measuring tools were quality name brands bought used in great to excellent condition. I'm picky when it comes to condition so I may pay a bit more for things sometimes but still got them for a fraction of what they would cost new. Like I got a 0-6" set of Accupro micrometers made by Scherr-Tumico for $200 shipped, brand new in the wooden case on ebay. They may not the greatest but way better than any Chinese imports & were cheap. Plenty of good deals to be found if you are patient.

Some other brands to look at used are Tesa, Compac, Interapid, Etalon, Helios, Mahr-Federal, Lufkin, Scherr-Tumico (or just Tumico before they merged with Scherr). I'm sure others can name more.

It depends somewhat on the tolerances and repeatability you are looking for. I find a Chinese made 6" digital verier caliper, for around $10 to $15 is quite adequate for my general needs. I don't know how it works in the USA, but here in Australia, I find the hobby electronic stores have better quality ones than the big box hardware stores

I have two $15 ones that I have compared to my 1" mic that is about 60 years old from my apprentice days, A quality British make "Moore & Wright" As good as any. And find it is quite good to about 0.0005". which is about as good as you can expect from a caliper.

Will hit most of them . Fowler also had some nice mics years back . Not sure if they're still made . I would second looking for good used tools . They bottom out on price and if taken care of , you'll get your money back if ever sold costing you basically nothing .

I would avoid the newer Fowler/SPI machinist tools and most of the cheaper measurement tools. I had a Fowler caliper and it fell apart within a year. Igaging makes very good caliper's, I have their 6" Absolute and also a Mitutoyo 8" Absolute, they both read the same and have held up well. Mitutoyo there are a ton of fakes on eBay and Amazon, so be very careful if you plan to buy one. Personally I think the Igaging makes great midpoint cost measurement tools that hold up. The Absolute measurement types hold their position even when shutoff, prevents a lot of mistakes that I encountered with my Fowler, I could not trust the readings. Avoid the cheaper versions of the Mitutoyo's (MyCal) and a few other name brands, there accuracy is poorer. Otherwise there is a ton of used mechanical dial type calipers that you can pick up inexpensively.

On micrometers I also have the Mitutoyo QuantuMike in a 1" and the Igaging in the 2, 3, 4", both work very well and very accurate checking them against a calibration standard. I prefer the thimble on the QuantuMike, the Igaging is just a spring loaded plunger, but price wise it is hard to justify the additional cost for the QuantuMike. This is one area where if you want a straight mechanical type micrometer, you should be able to pick up some decent ones Starrett / Brown & Sharpe / Mitutoyo on eBay and/or garage sales for very little cost. Those with thimble ratchet clutch have a preset clamping force which tends to give more consistent readings.

Dial indicators, depends on what you need/looking for. I recommend that you look at a multiple turn dials, my go to dial indicators are the Starrett 25-511 and 25-611, these are 0.0001" increment with a 0.2" range. I have assorted tips, they were around $70 used but looked almost new. There is a new 25-611 on eBay that you could make an offer on if you need a dial gauge:
Alternate is used Mitutoyo, B&S, Compac dial indicators, but there are also a lot of fakes with the Mitutoyo. The cheaper ones, well the movements are often poor and I wouldn't trust the accuracy. I would go used before I bought a cheaper no-name Chinese made one.

Test indicators, I have had a range, but I only use one these days which is the Compac 215GA which has the larger dial face. The 215G has a smaller dial face, but is still a very nice indicator if you eyesight is still good. I like the 0.0001" accuracy in a multi-turn, the range on these are 0.02", otherwise a 0.0005" in a multi-turn. I have 2 an interapid's and 3 Compac's test indicators, I prefer the latter but they are all very good. If you are looking for something new that is less expensive I would look at the Igaging test indicator, otherwise something used that isn't beat up.

I am sure there are a lot of other measurement indicators to choose from, just giving you my experience with the ones I have used. I would prefer to buy just one good measurement tool rather than a draw full.

Have to agree that a good used instrument is better than a new Chinese one. The Swiss makes the best dial and dial test indicators, period. Tesa/B&S makes the best analog dial caliper. Mitutoyo (the actual real made in Japan versions) makes the best digital calipers and micrometers. Best advice is to go to the LIIS website and read, read, read. Zero in on what you want and then find it at the best price you can get but don't settle for cheap just because you're a hobby guy ... even we need to be accurate.

Good reliable measuring instruments are the foundation of any machinists tool box. Used every day for every job. In support of the previous posts the 'cry once' approach is definitely called for. You will be happy for years to come.
After years of trying various brands I have narrowed my choice to Mitutoyo and iGaging (their top models).

Last edited:
This video is interesting. From what he found the inexpensive new chinese ones were ok within -.001 or +.0005 and found a difference between two chinese calipers.

One idea might be to buy 5 or 6 chinese ones for $15 or less from Harbor Freight, bring them home and test all of them, return all but the best one.

Then search for a used micrometer for high precision needs.

I often see NIB or like new Central Tools micrometers (NOT the same as HF Central Machine) micrometers on Ebay. I guess they have been around a long time. I purchased a 0-1" NIB set for $20 over a year ago. It is very accurate to the standard and operates nicely. I have used and acquired a lot of higher end tooling but paid a lot more. Going on my one purchase, it seems this brand is underrated - and may be worth looking into, Again my experience with this brand is limited - others may have more to share.
Yesterday I was looking on Ebay for a 3-4" micrometer. I found, and purchased, a 3"-4" Central Tools Micrometer Model 6071 for $24.95. Listed as new. Box and docs and the standard included. I looked on Central Tools site and they were listed for $265.00. I called them and thay said they make them here at their plant.
Be careful I do see that they now also sell cheaper Chinese tools.

Jim

Back