Are there any alternatives....

I don't mind used/cheap for a lot of stuff, but good measurement equipment is a must. Start with only what you need. For example I almost never use my 3-6" micrometers. Those can be skipped until needed. Stick to high quality brands for test indicators. I have an Interapid and Shars 0.0001" test indicators and the Shars really doesn't work well.

You are going to be using your 0-1 mic most of the time so go ahead and buy a quality one. The larger ones look for deals as they come. E-bay is flooded with lightly used quality mics for decent prices.

I agree with NCjeeper, eBay has lots of micrometers in good condition from quality manufacturers. It just takes some time to
figure out what the deals are and how to separate the wheat from the chaff. But, it you have concerns about eBay, try these
folks: https://shop.idealprec.com/collections/demo-items/micrometers-demo-used. I've bought from them and have been
happy. In my area, Craigslist also turns up lots of used mics in good condition, though patience is required to find them at
good prices.

...I am just starting out, and don't want to lay several hundred dollars into a few mics and indicators straight off...

Just starting out, you don't need a bunch of cheap crap. Better to begin with 1 quality 6" dial caliper in excellent condition. Then add to that as the need arises. Buy quality.

Sign up for email alerts at BidSpotter for auctions. You're in a good location, there's been quite a few recently from Atlanta to Birmingham, even up in Chattanooga.
Also sign up for alerts from Estatesales.net I have scored numerous name brand items at estate sales.

To the big 3 micrometer / indicator manufacturers? I am just starting out, and don't want to lay several hundred dollars into a few mics and indicators straight off. I know there are some way cheap import stuff... I assume some is good to a degree, but I have no idea what import brands are OK quality wise, or even if there are any mid-price alternatives to Starrett / Brown & Sharpe / Mitutoyo.

Harlech

Well, I have ordered 0-1" 1-2" and a 2-3" Scherr-Tumico mics from Ebay. The first 2 have boxes, the largest doesn't :(

And..... story of my life... I remembered inheriting an old "toolbox" from my father. I now recognize it as a machinist's toolbox. It's one of the only things that survived the fire. I dug it out of the closet... and it has both a 0-1" Mitutoyo AND a 0-1" Lufkin mic in there, a set of Vernier calipers, a dial mic that is marked .0001 as near as I can tell (sort of doubting that) and a weeeeeee tiny mic that has a lot of surface corrosion. And by wee tiny, I swear to god I think it's a 0 to .5"

To the big 3 micrometer / indicator manufacturers? I am just starting out, and don't want to lay several hundred dollars into a few mics and indicators straight off. I know there are some way cheap import stuff... I assume some is good to a degree, but I have no idea what import brands are OK quality wise, or even if there are any mid-price alternatives to Starrett / Brown & Sharpe / Mitutoyo.

Harlech
This guy on ebay sells rebuilt and calibrated hi quality items, I bought a compac dti from him and action is better than my interapid. I tested it and it is very accurate. https://www.ebay.com/sch/hugomac13/...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

You definitely need a quality 0- 1 mic, whatever it costs, I wouldn't waste my time with this one, certainly NOT Chinese. A mid price 6" digital caliper, actually the Chinese make some fairly good ones on this item, That will get you going, bide your time but keep your eyes open if a genuine bargain comes up grab it otherwise wait until you really need some items.

I have a 60 Y. old Moore and wright (English) from when I was an apprentice. It was quality then and still is quality. I have two 6" digital calipers one is about 25 Y old and the other about 3 Y. old Both Chinese, same no name brand, But I'm quite happy with them both. About $25 each. two little button batteries usually last about a year.

I also have a set of micrometers 1-2, 2-3, 3-4" in a wooden box, I was a little disappointed when I first opened the box, They looked fine but felt gritty. So I pulled them apart one at a time, cleaned and lubed them with light machine oil, (sewing machine oil is about right for these,) On re-assembly they felt like mid quality mics and when I tested them, they were quite good, accurate with good feel. I wish the Chinese would learn to clean things after machining.

One thing to remember as hobby machinists, we rarely machine to a drawing with a tight tolerance, most often we make one part and then make the next part to fit, So if your mic is out 1/2 a thou it makes no difference as long as you remember to use the same instrument to measure both parts.

Well, I have ordered 0-1" 1-2" and a 2-3" Scherr-Tumico mics from Ebay. The first 2 have boxes, the largest doesn't :(

And..... story of my life... I remembered inheriting an old "toolbox" from my father. I now recognize it as a machinist's toolbox. It's one of the only things that survived the fire. I dug it out of the closet... and it has both a 0-1" Mitutoyo AND a 0-1" Lufkin mic in there, a set of Vernier calipers, a dial mic that is marked .0001 as near as I can tell (sort of doubting that) and a weeeeeee tiny mic that has a lot of surface corrosion. And by wee tiny, I swear to god I think it's a 0 to .5"

UPDATE

Ok, fast forward several weeks, and after having bought the 3 Scherr - Tumico mics from Ebay, I kept digging around there, I found these: Outside.jpgMics.jpg

The box on the outside has some wear and age, but the mics themselves appear to be untouched and unused. There isn't a so much as a scuff or a scratch anywhere on them. I bought them for $125 for the whole thing plus shipping. I am majorly happy. I have also bought some dividers, calipers, inside calipers, a B&S 0" - 3" depth mic, a Starrett surface gage with all the bits, and the smallest automatic center punch I have ever seen (B&S 770 for $10 in perfect condition)

Next month will be dial test indicator, test indicator, a NOGA stand and a few other bits and pieces.

Thanks every one for the input and pointing me right.

Back