Are these listings with a fair price?

The Logan appears to be missing the rear belt cover. Something looks funky about how the motor is mounted, it might just be an adapter plate to allow for a bigger frame motor. I also suspect the motor pulley is not correct which would limit your speed selections.

The Logan appears to be missing the rear belt cover. Something looks funky about how the motor is mounted, it might just be an adapter plate to allow for a bigger frame motor. I also suspect the motor pulley is not correct which would limit your speed selections.
Bingo! That's what was bothering me about that picture. I went out and looked at my 210 for comparison.
That is a bigger motor.

The listing indicates it's a 1 HP motor, so yes bigger than the original.

The gear on the end of the spindle on the SB appears to be kind of mangled. Prices are in the ballpark from what I see online, but an asking price is just that. No reason not to offer less and see where it goes. Mike

I'm in Des Moines and have a model 415 9" South Bend Workshop lathe (no QC gearbox or power cross feed) that I am planning to sell. It needs to be wired up and also needs new belts. If you don't mind putting a little work into it, I would sell it for substantially less than the one you referenced on Craigslist.

I'm in Des Moines and have a model 415 9" South Bend Workshop lathe (no QC gearbox or power cross feed) that I am planning to sell. It needs to be wired up and also needs new belts. If you don't mind putting a little work into it, I would sell it for substantially less than the one you referenced on Craigslist.

I'm really a newbie here and don't know anything about lathes. But could anybody provide some info about this model 415 9". I wouldn't mind putting a bit of work to get it up running.

Is it a good lathe? Could you post some pictures here? What about tooling? Does it come with it?

The 415 is the precursor to the Workshop 9” A-B-C lathes. It’s pretty much identical to the 9C, but has oiling ports on top of the headstock rather than on the front.

It doesn’t have a whole lot of tooling, unfortunately. i have 3-jaw chuck and faceplate, a drill chuck, some lathe dogs and a few tool holders. I will see about getting some photos up.

Fair price on the Logan. Maybe counter with a 1K offer. Looks to be in good shape except the paint, although pictures don't tell the full story. Certainly worth checking out to watch/hear it run.
The price on those 10" swing models seems to have sky-rocketed the past few years - it's easier (and often cheaper) to find a 14". So I'd say $1250 isn't asking too much. Be sure to ask the guy to demo the threading or power feed.

This one just popped up on cragislist... sorry to many questions :)
What do you guys think about model/price? Looks like there isn't much tooling that comes with it... Still worth it?

If it's a working lathe, the price is reasonable, but without much tooling the cost will be greater in the end.
It has no quick change gearbox. It's very old, so the seller's claim about wear should be taken with a grain of salt: they all say there's very little wear. Only an inspection will answer that question.
The South Bend experts can tell you whether I'm right, but it looks to me like
the headstock has plain bearings, which some folks are willing to deal with and some are not.

Back