Ask The Pros...pm 1127 Set Up Question

Arock PCB

Registered
Registered
Hello HM, I figure if I have the best tool(this forum) why not use it. After recently taking pocession of my PM 1127 I am wondering if I should take apart my lathe and clean and inspect before I put it in service. I have done this before with a grizzly lathe that was a must for it was definitely not ready to use outta the box. Now my PM 1127 looks far superior and am very impressed with Matt's organization so I would be most grateful to hear about what members and have done and think. I know there is a warranty involved that I'm sure is voided upon disassembly. Thanks.
Austin

Being older now and (a bit) wiser, I do this with most any machine. Most times there is no issue and, on occasion, I learn a bit about how it operates which enhances my understanding.

Actually, your warranty should remain in tact assuming you don't start modifying things. Simple disassembly and reassembly won't be an issue. I would check things over, mainly the hard to reach places like under the compound slide and cross slide. I found my machine to be very clean and just had one or two little spots to clean. Besides, it will give you a better understanding of your machine.

Thank you gents, I believe I am going to break it down to prade rest. I guess I am most curious about how well/clean they come from the factory as opposed from other dealers. I'm not worried about it either way. I am quite used to moving parts and their tendencies. Above all I am so happy to get a machine like the PM 1127 with so many options at a great price and a compact package.

Hello HM, I figure if I have the best tool(this forum) why not use it. After recently taking pocession of my PM 1127 I am wondering if I should take apart my lathe and clean and inspect before I put it in service. I have done this before with a grizzly lathe that was a must for it was definitely not ready to use outta the box. Now my PM 1127 looks far superior and am very impressed with Matt's organization so I would be most grateful to hear about what members and have done and think. I know there is a warranty involved that I'm sure is voided upon disassembly. Thanks.
Austin

Matt isn't going to void your warranty for disassembly to clean/inspect your machine, unless as previously said you start modifying and or breaking things. If you are unsure about how to proceed exactly, contact Matt and ask him. I'm sure he has recommendations on this. :)

I personally would not remove the spindle and start pressing bearings out, but light disassembly to get all the gunk out and properly lubricate things is expected.

Very right wrmiller, I think I'll just take the Tailstock, saddle, compound and slide apart and clean/inspect. Maybe pop the gear box cover off and wipe it out and make a new gasket(seems like a lot of people's leak from the factory).

That's pretty much what I did to my PM10x30V too.

Thanks for the set up thread, my 11-27 arrived last week and now on its stand,phew.

Good for you sandybourne. It's a great lathe and a surprising beast. I was gonna first get a 10" geared head but the specs on the 1127 just had me floored. So did just how big and powerful it is. Not a toy. I hope yours works out great for you. I'm so impressed with Precision Matthews, I'm gonna upgrade my little mill to a bigger one from Matt.

Matt and his staff have been excellent, I did purchase a PM25-MV late last year, now the lathe is here I can locate it were I want it in the workshop and get the show on the road.

Last edited:
Back