Ask The Pros...pm 1127 Set Up Question

Just out of interest , what oil are you guys using in your 11-27 gearbox, as Mobil 627 is not available now ?

Would mobil gear 600 XP150 be a good replacement and not void any warranty ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Yeah sandybourne I put mobilgear 600 xp 150 in mine. It's what replaced the 627. We use it in our swing gear motors on our shipboard cranes. Good stuff. You can get it from Amazon or Walmart online in a gallon size shipped to your house for 28 bucks. Should last for many years at a yearly change out rate. You can also use whatever type of 75w90 or 80w90 you want. There were no bronze or brass fittings in the gearbox that I saw so you could even use ATF fluid or hypoid oil if you wanted I suppose. I'd spend the little more on the mobilgear and put the best stuff in possible but that is only my opinion and nothing else. Hope this helps.
Austin

FYI, Mobil Gear 627 is an ISO100 oil viscosity, the XP150 is an ISO150 and may be a bit too viscous. Mobil DTE Heavy is an ISO 95 gear oil, around $25 a gallon when on sale at ENCO, probably a good choice. Usual lathe gear and carriage oil is often an ISO68 (Mobil Heavy/Medium or DTE 26 motor oit SAE 20), but probably doesn't matter in this application since it is such low stress. This is also what is recommended for the oiler ports. If a auto gear oil, probably stay with a 75W90 and avoid those listed for limited slip or synchro transmission gears (which use modifiers to increase frictional drag). I find the standard Mobil gear and way oils to work well, so stick with them on the lathe. Since this is a belt drive with no head stock gears, not really much in the way of break-in procedure.

Indeed, but it's a gear bath setup and not under any psi so added viscosity is of no consequence. In fact, by looking at the arrangement I believe the gears to benifit ever so slightly from a little added viscosity.

Actually this is often not the case. It can add a significant amount of heat and drag. There is also the issue when splash lubrication is used to channel oil to the bearings. This is especially true in gear head lathes, but in something like this, you could probably put just about anything in and it would work. I am just clarifying what is specified. I have a gear head mill, and when I replaced the stock gear oil with a better product, I gained about 100RPM on the top end and it runs cooler. A lathe gearbox runs probably at 1/10 the speed, so no issues.

Drag is not an issue. These gears are designed to sit in the oil hence the gear bath. This is not a fancy double helical bull gear with multiple input and and output pinions changing high speeds and high torques that need strict temps and viscosities. And there is zero worry about oil channels like in a gear headed lathe as they're are none in this set up. But if someone is worried that much about it put in a 75w90, 80w90, or some ISO100 oil. I just suggest the mobilgear XP series oil for the superior additives they put in for gear applications. All terrific points you bring up, I can tell you know your stuff.

Thanks guys, that was an interesting and informative read , I did think of Castrol R to make it go really fast and also smell nice ....I will give the XP150 a go, I see it's available on Ebay, thanks again.

Yep, I love this forum. I haven't read any bad information or opinions in my very short time here. A lot of help from members when you need it. A true sign of a great forum.

I am running Valvoline 75 -90 gear oil in mine. I agree that having something a little thicker that will cling to the gears and "walk up" the gear train is a good thing with an oil-bath setup like the 1127's gear box. I thought that the ISO68/ SAE 20 oil seemed a little bit too thin. Matt had told me a while back to just run standard gear oil so that is what I did. I didn't go Walmart brand cheap, but I didn't go out of my way to find the Mobil gear oil.

Back