Ask The Pros...pm 1127 Set Up Question

Hah, you made me grin 3D, yeah going with the mobilgear is quite an over kill I admit. Don't get me wrong, I love my cheap Chinese machines and the 1127 in particular, but that gear box is not quite "high tolerances". Kinda made me giggle when I opened it. I don't know what I was expecting but it caught me off guard. But like I say, I'm highly impressed with the "balls" of that machine. For three grand delivered to my door I'm very happy. It's just the ever vigilant engineer in me that made me buy the mobilgear. But by the numbers I figured that gallon should last me 7-10 years of oil changes. Depending on how much I use to flush and of course greatly on how much I spill. And really who am I kidding, I'm sure I will upgrade to a bigger lathe before long and someone will be getting a fine adjusted 1127 for cheap, hah.

Arock, I agree with you that the value of the machine is high compared to the cost. I figured mine to be a 10 year machine even though I am sure it will last much longer. By that time I should be able to step up to a 13x40 or 14 x 40 machine, which will be big enough to handle anything I could ever want to do. I actually bought a couple of the quart sized containers of gear oil with the built in pour tip and only used about half of one for the first oil change. I am running the same oil in my apron gear box as well. I am actually coming up on a year so I will be changing mine again as well.

Back