Atlas 10f Reverse Gearbox Bearing

Success!

Well, I finally got a new bearing in the mail (two, in case the first one got destroyed) and commenced to finishing this job. I had to make a 'stop washer', and alignment collar to pull against, so I soft soldered a bronze washer to a larger washer, and pressed both into a modified PVC pipe adapter:

Gear12.jpg

This goes on the opposite end of the hole in the casing. The assembled parts (less the casing) look like this:

Gear17.jpg

The gearbox casing and puller went back in Wifey's oven @ 175F, then came out and the puller inserted to do its job; the operation went smoothly and was facilitated with a 19mm box wrench. When the bearing got to the end of its travel, it stopped at the washer, and the 'pulling' was over!

Gear13.jpg

Disassembly yielded a properly installed sleeve bearing:

Gear15.jpg

With the project done, I now have a spare bearing and the fixtures to extract and install it:

Gear18.jpg

Should anyone want to perform this little operation, I will mail you the new bearing and fixtures for $20. If you only need the bearing, it can be had for $11. The bearing can be ordered from Fastenal. Contact me offline if you would like to make this repair, and thanks for watching!

Lou O.

Can you drill the OIL Hole in the bushing after the installation?

Oops!

Forgot to show that part. Grabbed a 7/16" drill and re-established the oil hole!

Gear16.jpg

Thanks Yendor for catching that omission...one thing I think I'm going to do, is use some light moly/graphite grease for the initial re-assembly, and slowly wash it away with subsequent oil applications.

Lou O.

Lou,

That looks more like a 7/64" drill bit than a 7/16".

Pretty sure he went with the 7/64th otherwise he'll be pouring Oil in with a funnel from a gallon jug. :)

Just a good thing it can be as an after thought.

You guys are pretty perceptive...I knew there was a 7 in there somewhere...the denominator was slightly off.

Lou,

What I used to do (and still will if the need ever arises again) with sintered bronze bushings was that I kept a 1# coffee can with about 3" of (at that time) SAE 30 engine oil in it. Whenever I got in a few new bushings (most for clutch pilot), I would drop all of them in the can and put the lid on. Next time that I needed one, it was already pre-soaked. This doesn't work as quickly as a vacuum system of course but it worked. I got the tip out of an early Land Rover shop manual.

If I were you, instead of greasing the new bushing I would drop the main casting with bushing into SAE 20 and let it sit for a week or two. Then take it out, sit it on a stack of paper towel for an hour or so, wipe of the exterior, assemble and install.

Sounds like a good plan...the gearbox is still off the machine, so it could be easily done. Is this the preferred method for bearing prep when using sintered bronze? BTW the shaft rotates cleanly in the bearing with no play, so it must have been the correct size.
Lou O.

Back