Atlas 12 A thru E gears needed

That black thing where the lead screw enters the QC gearbox is the overload clutch. It can be adjusted, and probably someone made it too tight trying to take too heavy a cut. The Craftsman manual shows how to adjust it.

That black thing where the lead screw enters the QC gearbox is the overload clutch. It can be adjusted, and probably someone made it too tight trying to take too heavy a cut. The Craftsman manual shows how to adjust it.
the little set screws were lil riped up. i think your rite. they had no clue.
as they say it is what it is lol ..

now i have to see how far one would grind the chuck toothers down. these were/are lil bit messed up.
no idea if theres replacements. might be the best way . finding these things not easy for this ole fart lol
tho i did pick up a bxa yes bxa tonite with 2 holders knurl and cuter bore holder and bore bar. think its a 5/8 might be half tho. takes 1/4 inch bits.
foot long ... got it for 50. it is a piston but heck beggers cant be choosers lol

the little set screws were lil riped up. i think your rite. they had no clue.
as they say it is what it is lol ..

now i have to see how far one would grind the chuck toothers down. these were/are lil bit messed up.
no idea if theres replacements. might be the best way . finding these things not easy for this ole fart lol
tho i did pick up a bxa yes bxa tonite with 2 holders knurl and cuter bore holder and bore bar. think its a 5/8 might be half tho. takes 1/4 inch bits.
foot long ... got it for 50. it is a piston but heck beggers cant be choosers lol
The BXA is pretty big for that lathe. If you get a chance to trade for an AXA (with more tool holders), do it. You will find that the BXA takes up so much room that it is sometimes hard to get your tool in a place to do the cutting, especially around a live center.

The BXA is pretty big for that lathe. If you get a chance to trade for an AXA (with more tool holders), do it. You will find that the BXA takes up so much room that it is sometimes hard to get your tool in a place to do the cutting, especially around a live center.
yeah i will be doing that. down the road. probley sell of the bxa after i grab a axa. i think the gotta have it now bug got me lol

hello.. looking for the A thru E gears for the gearbox. this is the left side gear set. also the gear for the selector larger gear in handle.
there is 3 gears same size and tooth count. the gears with red line in 2nd pic.
any hep would be great. i checked BM and if the gear they have is right. its WOW priced becuse they feel they have GOLD.
the prev owner crashed the head as you can see. the right side is good. but wow its a tool. he had no respect at all for it. just by how dirty the old girl was.
also a handle pin asambley. the setpin for the change gear lever. missing that also .

View attachment 478102
View attachment 478097
Those gears are repairable, If steel simply weld up broken tooth and reshape by hand filing if cast iron use bronze and hand finish. A dremel type tool might be used for roughing out then finish with fine file.

Those gears are repairable, If steel simply weld up broken tooth and reshape by hand filing if cast iron use bronze and hand finish. A dremel type tool might be used for roughing out then finish with fine file.
one of them has a lot of toothers missin. almost full round smooth .. even if i press them apart. not worth the effort. easyer to grab a block of steel and start from new that way . but plans changed. the jaws on the chuck are trash and now i need to find a set .
findings a set seems to be very hard to do for me at least. i might just off the dang thing. and be done with it.
i dont know ...

We had the '50s version of that lathe at the auto electric shop I worked at. Great lathe for what we needed, which was usually starter/generator work and reshaping ends for CableCraft parts.

The last time I bought gears for an Atlas/Craftsman lathe, I got them from Sears Parts online.
They still have many parts for Craftsman Lathes.

We had the '50s version of that lathe at the auto electric shop I worked at. Great lathe for what we needed, which was usually starter/generator work and reshaping ends for CableCraft parts.
yeah i could see cuttin coms on it. or ends of the shaft to resize bearings or bushings so on ..

Oh that's a nice one- I have the bench model of that
If yours has the safety clutch on the leadscrew I can't imagine how someone messed up the gearbox so badly
do you have any info on the clutch and break down image of it . adjusting it so on ..
the one i have seems like it wont move at all..
looks to be 3 parts. 2 outer like casing gearbox side and 1 iner for the lead screw.

Back