Atlas 3996 for sale, thoughts?

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I saw this lathe and I'm thinking about selling the one I just bought and getting this one, but I thought I'd see what you all thought first:

atlas 3996 all.jpg
atlas 3996 head.jpg
atlas 3996 carriage.jpg
It comes with a KDK tool post and 5 holders.

SAFETY: I like that the belts are fully enclosed, for safety reasons. I have small kids and I'm afraid they might get tangled in my current lathe. This is the main reason I'm looking at getting it.

QCGB: I also like the QCGB. The change gears for my Craftsman are hard to find and expensive when I do. I realize they are probably still cheaper than this lathe, but the safety thing is more important.

Seller states it's a Model 3996, 110V drive in the cabinet. 12" swing, 54" bed. A little big for me, but it could work.

I's appreciate any thoughts or input. Is the price fair?

Thanks!

I's appreciate any thoughts or input. Is the price fair?

Looks like a clean lathe , and a decent size also . How much was he asking ?

My first lathe was the bench top version of the same lathe. I paid $700 for mine which included a 3-jaw, 4-jaw and steady rest. Here's a current Craig's List listing in the Pittsburgh area for a comparable 3996 for $750. Yeah, way too long of a drive for you but gives you some price comparison.

I use the search engine www.searchtempest.com for eBay and CL listings. The $1800 asking price seems a bit high, but maybe he'll throw in some more goodies.

Bruce

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/d/atlaslathe/6771379922.html

Just talked with the seller. He used to part out lathes on eBay. This is on a rolling base, has two 3-jaw chucks (Bison knockoffs), and he said he'd throw in a bunch of tooling (boring bars, etc). No steady or follow rest, no 4-jaw chuck. He says it has little backlash and is in very good shape (don't they all). He says he's used it for personal use the last 12 years. He had what he called a low-ball offer of $800.
The 4-jaw chuck I have may fit this one. It's a little big: 63" long by 16" deep. But it has fully covered belts.
He has a few people coming to look at it but if it's still available I may go look at it. If it's not sold, that will mean a lower price, I think.
I can wait.

By the way, will this cut metric threads?

$1800 ? I would pass it by or see if he is negotiable at all .

What do you think is fair? This one is nicer than the one linked to above in Pittsburgh. Seller rejected $800 from another seller. Seller told me he could part it out for $3000, but didn't want to do that to this machine since, in his opinion, it was so nice.
The KDK too post and holders are worth something, I think. Maybe $250? He mentioned a bunch of other tooling that could add maybe $100. I'm just guessing based on what I've seen lately. So maybe $1200-1500 for the machine and all the tooling? Let me know if that's too good or to low.

Over-all, although I wouldn't take this for mine, I think that a reasonable price for a bare 3996 (no accessories) is about $1200 +/-. Then add a flat $150 for each significant accessory (like spindle chuck, steady rest, QCTP with usual 5 holders, milling attachment, taper attachment, etc.) and $50 for each minor accessory (like carriage stop, dial indicator, TS chuck, live center, pile of cutters, etc.).

For reference, over the years it was in production (roughly late 1967 to March, 1981), the 101.28990 (Sears version of 3996) listed for $667 to $2299. As best I can recall, I paid about $2000 in January of 1981 for my 3996, plus about another $2000 by the end of the year for accessories.

The V-bed versus flat bed controversy is usually blown out of proportion. If the V-bed is hardened, then it matters. If it isn't, then by itself, it doesn't. The only issue that an unhardened flat bed has that an unhardened V-bed doesn't is wear on the rear of the rear way. Otherwise, in exactly the same service they both wear at about the same rate and the wear has the same consequences. And a re-grind of a V-bed versus a flat bed will normally be more expensive.

Back