Atlas 618 ^" Lathe - just got and need some help!

oh that's right, I forgot that it was a lever action tailstock. No way on earth I'd want to give that up. Not really any tool that you can use at the chuck end that won't risk popping the chuck off the arbor. If a hearty slam back with the lever doesn't pop it off, take it out, soak it and then give it a tap down the threaded hole with a piece of brass or aluminum rod.

I think the only thing I use grease on with mine is the tailstock barrel and screw. Everything else gets oil - hydraulic oil for anything that rotates, way oil for anything that slides (and the back gears, gets wiped off after use).

Okay I think I can see the graduations on the side so it’s the proper quill. I still think a thin open end wrench would slide into the relief just behind the chuck mount and the tailstock body. I have to pop the MT out of my wood lathe this way sometimes if it gets stuck in there.

-frank

Hey guys, a little help from a small, plastic mallet on that handle and the chuck came right out! Thanks for the help there!

Back