Atlas 618 - Using (larger) tool holders made for larger lathe

mjb356

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm trying to understand the implications of using/purchasing tool holders manufactured for a larger lathe. I recently purchased an Atlas 618 - 6 inch lathe with only 1 empty tool holder made for an Atlas 618. I need to buy more of various styles. I have an opportunity to purchase others intended for a larger lathe which will fit in my existing Atlas 618 tool post but can't tell how the tool bits will align with the work even with adjustability of the rocker.

I am new to using metal lathes and presently don't have knowledge or experience to understand the pros & cons and, with tooling being quite expensive, I don't want to waste money.

I would be grateful for any advice from member on the topic.....Thanks...Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1601.JPG
    IMG_1601.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1602.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 152
My lathe came with a lantern style tool post like yours and I haven't used it once. I bought a quick change tool post from Phase ll and have been very happy with it. They are much more user friendly IMO.

My Atlas 618 came with a user-built 4-way toolpost. Like @Grinderman I bought a quick change tool post (Little Machine Shop) and only use the other toolpost for parting operations.

OTOH, I have a couple of BusyBee toolholders suitable for a lantern tool post. If you get down towards the western Greater Toronto Area, they are yours!

Craig

Thank you Grinderman and WCraig for your replies! Does this mean that if I get a QC tool post, that the size or type of tool holder I get won't matter because they are adjustable to accommodate "almost" any size holder? .... thx Mike

QCTP come in different sizes to fit different size lathes. OXA to CXA and probably larger. Your lathe would use either a OXA or a AXA. A QCTP sized to fit a 12" lathe will be too tall to work on your 618. I made a norman style QCTP and all of the tool holders for my lathe for a fraction of the cost. Only need a lathe and a drill to make one. This is an option for you if cost is a factor. I still occasionally use my lantern tool post too get into tight spots where a QCTP won't fit.

Winky's Workshop has several videos on making a lantern style tool post that might be of interest to you. The critical distance is the distance from the rocker in your lantern tool post to the center line of the spindle on your lathe coupled with how high the tool bit is from the base of the tool holder. That will determine if the tool holders your are considering will fit your lathe. All of the Altas tool holders have part numbers on them. Find a catalog for your lathe and that will give you the part numbers of the various tool holders that will fit your lathe. Our resident Atlas/Craftsman expert wa5cab will chime in here with what you need to know.

Your Atlas 618 needs a 0XA size quick change tool post (QCTP) if you go that route:

4058.480.jpg

I bought this one for my lathe:

Note that you still have to supply cutting tools to go into the tool holders. I use mostly 3/8 inch high speed steel (HSS). To me, the 618 is not heavy, rigid, or powerful enough to use carbide tooling effectively. However, with HSS, you need to learn to grind the cutter. There are lots of resources for that.

The above package only comes with 3 tool holders for normal turning/facing operations. You will probably want to have at least a few more so you can have tools optimized for steel, brass and aluminum. That can come later, though.

BTW, are you satisfied that your 618 is in good shape and worth investing in tooling? Is the bed worn? Lead screw? Does it need new split nuts for the power feed / threading? Did you get all the change gears with it? Do you have the parts list and lubrication chart? There are copies available on the Vintage Machinery web site, if you need them. Beyond that, the 618 is considered a very small lathe. If you want to repair Caterpillar parts, it isn't going to be up to the task! OTOH, if your interest is model engineering, it is a pretty good size.

HTH

Craig

Craig, you beat me to it. I used the same set on my Craftsman lathe. Worked well.

WCraig. has it right: you need an OXA tool post and holders for your 618. The next step up
is AXA and that's too large for your lathe. AXA toolholders won't work on OXA tool posts either.

Thanks so much everyone! I apologize for my delay replying since earlier this morning...drove 2 hours for vaccine and waiting in long line until my turn...more later...Thanks...Mike

Some people have side effects to the vaccine that will kick your but. I did and it wasn't fun. Took a good two days for the side effects to go away. Take it easy for a couple of days.

Back to the QCTP. You are going to want at least 10 to 15 tool holders. I have made 12 so far and need several more. The first batch I made were just for your normal tool bits and boring bars. I now make specialized tool holders. Latest was for a knurling tool. As the saying goes you can never have too many tool holders. The whole point of having a QCTP is so that you don't have to change tool bits in the holders.

Back