Atlas 618 - Using (larger) tool holders made for larger lathe

I'm back home now and have read in detail all your helpful information! I am sold on the recommendation to purchase an OXA Tool post and holders. I already have ongoing discussions with members and an immediate opportunity to buy tool holders and some tool bits . I know some are for an Atlas Lathe larger than my model (10-12").

Is it accurate to say that whether or not I buy a QCTP with holders, I am going to need bits and in some cases, bits and holders, as these can be used with a QCTP? If these holders and bits currently under discussion will not be needed or compatible, I will need to tell those I'm currently in discussions with their bit will no longer be needed....... Thank you......Mike

To Craig, I didn't previously respond to your questions about the condition of my Atlas 618.....I was told prior to seeing it that it had new headstock bearings and when I went to see it, I found the lathe in immaculate condition and appears to be tight in every way.....I think more than the headstock bearings were done to it...looks like a rebuild.....apparently came from a Cheese factory in the city...I'm keeping my fingers crossed...Mike

@mjb356 QCTP and holders are best suited for carbide insert tools. You can use HSS tooling in them also. For the 0XA size, 3/8 and 1/2 will probably work better than 1/4 HSS blanks because of the little longer stick out you will need to clear the holder in some cases.

Let me deviate from the general opinions presented to you up to now. If you have a pedestal grinder, you can make very good use of the 'lantern' tool post you have already.

However I want to do a shout out to the 4 way. First - most guys don't know how to use a 4 way tool post. They shim it (not a good practice) because they never worked in a well tooled industrial shop. All my 4 way carbide insert tools fit in the 4 way without shimming. I mill/lap the carbide insert holders so when put into the 4 way, they are already on centre. No need to check or adjust. Most jobs use one to 3 tools so I just set them up in the 4 way, and tool changes are quick and easy - just rotate.

On a tiny lathe the extra rigidity of the 4 way comes in to play, especially for parting.

No problem if you want to or already are using a QCTP. they work just fine.

I have and use my lantern tool posts, all 3 of my 4 way tool posts, My AXA and my BXA QCTPs I even have a genuine Aloris QCTP, so I'm not biased against them. When I'm doing production work where time and finish matter, it is always the 4-way.

I'm negotiating for a large Dixson tool post and some holders to compare them to what I have. And one day, I'll find a Multifix. I like to try out things and be sure of what I say about them.

Dabbler, thank you for your reply and your information provided.....I have a good sense now from your and other's input, what tools I should be pursuing now and start to go after them.

Thank you to all who contributed

I have a 4 way also and it gets some use. If you can't find a 4 way that fits your lathe you can make one with your lathe. One of the tool holders on my project list is a 4 way for my QCTP.

4 way posts are standard accessories on most small Asian lathes. I bet there are a bunch of them out there gathering dust. Why not ask if someone wants to sell theirs?

QCTP and holders are best suited for carbide insert tools. You can use HSS tooling in them also.
I'm not sure why you say carbide insert tools are *best* for a QCTP? To me, the height adjustment of the quick change tool holders makes it particularly suitable to HSS. Say you touch up a HSS bit that has high positive rake and therefore lower the cutting edge slightly. The quick change holder makes it easy to get back on center.

Craig

therefore lower the cutting edge slightly
2 reasons or this, the grind is trickier for a beginner than for a lantern tool post (only 2 grinds for a lantern, the top rake isn't needed) to get back, side and top rake. With an insert tool holder no adjusting is needed, just change the insert and go again. After every grind, an adjustment, as you suggest, is compulsory.

I've used HSS blanks in 4 ways and lanterns as well as Aloris type holders. In an Aloris type QCTP, I find my carbide insert holders to be less trouble than HSS, is all.

buy an 0XA tool post and more holders than you think you'll ever need. Then get some cheap 10mm SCLCR tools and a packet of matching CCGT inserts. That'll get you started and you can go from there. I still grind HSS bits occasionally when I want a particular shape or something funky, but I haven't used HSS for standard turning on my 618 since I got the above indexable tools 4 or 5 years ago.

Have you tried using your lantern tool post yet? The instructor in the machine shop told me a similar thing to much of the advice, which was to immediately replace the lantern with a quick change tool post, preferably an Aloris. It might be fun, at least while browsing offerings, to at least make a few little projects. Surely, you must be eager to try the lathe.

I kind of went the other direction. I had a quick change tool post on my South Bend, and decided to make a lantern tool post for it. The main reason was that it was easier to forge with hammer and anvil. Of course, my quick change was also forged, but I had to enlist the services of a striker, since it was heavy sledding. The lantern tool post and associated Armstrong type tool holder could be done single handed with a hand hammer. Plus, it looks cooler and more appropriate on the lathe. It turns out I only used it twice. The first time was to cut its own base, which has a dish shape for the rocker to bear against. A lantern tool post can be used to turn a ball, but a quick change tool post alone is not sufficient. The second time was to cut a replacement lead screw for my cross slide. The quick change tool post could not get the bit in.

Back