Atlas 7B Disassembly and Teardown! Pic Heavy!

Weldo this is a brilliant thread. Thanks for sharing. I am busy in the midst of my shaper rebuild and have consulted your thread numerous times.
Just one question I have is with your side oil port mods on the sliding block, does it not tend to drain the slot reservoir on top a lot faster to the detriment of the main bush its supposed to lubricate?
My arm sides and block are scored so this is obviously a weakness on these machines and I considering doing the same mods you did.
The side arms and block on mine were like new, Maybe one thou wear. As with anything if there is no lubrication there will be friction and the resulting wear.

Thanks for the kind words!

You're right that the lubrication of the sides of the sliding block may indeed be to the detriment of the main pin. Perhaps if I were to do it over I would make the side oil holes very very small. Like 0.060" or less so that oil does get to the sides of the block, but at a very slow pace.

I was thinking of inserting some wick into the side holes of the sliding block, to possibly slow the rate. On my Deckel FP-1 they use wick to lube the Y axis ways. One thing I learned on my 7B restoration is that the lack of lubrication is a problem for sure. Maybe that's why the later South Bends use an oil pump. I oil the hell out the 7b ( some times multiple time a day) cause its a lost oil system.

Back