Atlas counter shaft bushing

OP shouldn't have to worry about original part dimensions if the shaft is worn or boogered. Turn the shaft down, install a sleeve, and turn the sleeve to whatever works for your replacement bushing. The sleeve is optional if you make a new bushing with an undersize bore. Works for the shaft carrier the same way. Since it's a countershaft, you can still use your lathe to do the work. Sounds like you have a good practical exercise on your hands!

So I was able to find a chunk of bronze. I removed everything and took my measurements, od of the bushing is .875, od of the countershaft is .750. The shaft was in terrible shape so I scrapped it and made a new one and layed out where the contact points of the set screws were and i filed in flat spots. For the bushing I turned them down on my Chinese lathe to .8765 and put them in the freezer for a couple hours and pressed them in with big C clamps. I drilled a 1/32 hole through the bushing to be able to provide a oil way straight to the countershaft for better lubrication. I also ordered a new set, it was easy enough that if my bushings don't last long I won't mind doing it again lol. Everything is nice and snug now, no vibration anymore while running and the countershaft arm doesn't heat up now the way it was. Here's a pic of the buggered up contershaft

IMG_20180720_204007948.jpg

Back