Atlas / Craftsman 12'' Metal Lathe Restoration [1937]

Does anyone have a good source for an after market counter shaft pulley?

Or maybe the STL file for 3D Printing one?!? (I bet printing one out of ASA would work pretty well?)

Attachments

• CounterShaftPulley.JPG
    CounterShaftPulley.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 15
You are very unlikely to find an after-market equivalent to the 10-80 4-step Cone Pulley. Too many lathe manufacturers used something similar but not exactly the same. However, they should be relatively common on the used market as almost every 10" and 12" lathe built by Atlas between 1936 and 1981 used one except for the late 12" cabinet models, and they used two.

Headstock chucks that screw directly onto the spindle are really nice for small work! Mine had a cracked sleeve and needed a shrunk on tube to fix it. Worth the work!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Headstock chucks... Mine had a cracked sleeve and needed a shrunk on tube to fix it. Worth the work!
If you look on eBay, CL and similar places you will usually find Jacobs chuck parts such as sleeves, jaws, etc. You will need to first check a vintage Jacobs catalog (I think that I put a PDF of one under the Atlas folder in Downloads) for the correct sleeve part number. And repairing it with the proper replacement part, besides being probably cheaper (at least if you value your time at anything above zero) and the repaired chuck would be salable if you ever chose to do so. Whereas repairing the chuck by putting a home-made fix on it probably wouldn't be.

Hey yall, a guy on Instagram sent me this link. This countershaft pulley has the same dimensions as the original... just need to mill in a 3/16'' key way into the shaft.

Hey yall, a guy on Instagram sent me this link. This countershaft pulley has the same dimensions as the original... just need to mill in a 3/16'' key way into the shaft.

Any idea on pricing?

Any idea on pricing?

.....and can any Joe buy one with a credit card, or are there minimums, establishing account, etc? I suspect this part likely is still available from Clausing.

Best,
Kelly

According to the manufacturer; Granger carries it. I've reached out to them via email.

Back