Atlas/Craftsman 12x36" lathe...questions

I don't know of any statistically significant common problems with any of the five QCGB models. Supposedly, all of the gears in all of the QCGB's are steel.

I am still waiting for a simple visual inspection. As someone mentioned, it could just be stuffed full of shavings.

Just to confirm, the lead screw pulls straight out of the QCGB? All I need to do is remove the support bearing at the end of the table, and then slide the lead screw through the apron? After that, I can simply unbolt the QCGB?

One more thing, I replaced the bolt that holds the slide gear in place on the quadrant...how tight should it be? Should it slide at all?

Yes. Although I would move the carriage down to the middle of the bed and engage the half nuts and carriage drive handwheel to extract the lead screw. And first, rotate the spindle with tumbler in either FWD or REV until the slot is more or less at 12:00. Also, one screw is hidden under the setting plate on the GB. So step 1 is to remove the plate. And I think that there is one bolt or stud on the left end up under the countershaft. And I would remove the change gears from the banjo before pulling the screws.

Something like 20 or 25 foot-pounds would be tight enough for the nut holding the sliding gear. If you loosen the quadrant clamp handle and drop the banjo, the gear should slide IN or OUT on the double-keyed 9-70A Bushing..

Hit a snag pulling the lead screw, I can only get it to move about 1/4-1/2"...

20190428_040331_jpg-927171.JPG

20190428_040323_jpg-927172.JPG

I gave up on pulling the lead screw, went ahead and wired in the motor....yeah, it's a counter clockwise rotation. Not sure if it can be reversed, but it at least let me hear the lathe run for the first time. Bearings and gears sounded good, but the motor is not stong enough...doesn't have enough startup torque to always get the chuck turning.

20190428_064057_jpg-927212.JPG

20190416_060711_jpg-927214.JPG

20190416_060716_jpg-927217.JPG

It's just a cheap Chinese motor, will likely swap it out with something a little better....that spins clockwise. ;)

Well, all single-phase capacitor start motors with a RUN winding, a START winding, a START capacitor and a centrifugal switch to disconnect the start circuit (START winding and START capacitor) are reversible. Some are just easier to do than others. If you can, post a photo of the junction box on the motor.

The junction box on the side is nothing more than 2 wires coming out, nothing else.

Back