Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

They have the holes. You can barely see them on the top edge.
Lot of other lathes use cast iron. I'm surprised with the unhardened beds, cast iron wasn't the choice. I pulled some unused planer blades to check the flatness and briefly considered cutting a new gib from one of those as they are the perfect ground thickness. But I'm afraid that would be too hard against the iron. They would be stiff and straight.

Last edited:
OK on having the holes.

As to why use steel instead of cast iron, maybe it was cheaper or more readily available. Or both.

And as far as using your excess planer blades, you might have trouble cutting the flat-bottom holes for the adjusting screws. If not, you could probably use them.

I have a Craftsman Lathe 101.07301, serial#: 8547 (according to the tags on machine - bronze spindle bearings) I'm curious what date this machine is from.
I sniped it off of a local craiglist ad (estate sale of a model airplane hobbyist) about 9-10 years ago for $100 and lost interest for a while and have only used it for a couple small projects. Has been sitting in the garage after I went through and cleaned, oiled and painted. Didn't take apart the headstock. It came with 3-jaw, 4-jaw, backing plate, milling attachment, boring bar attachment with boring bar accessories, 3/4 craftsman motor, original manual, tailstock and headstock drill chucks, dogs. No follower or steady rest. Plus a bunch of other tools I haven't identified.

I might be interested in selling to someone local who is interested in the hobby.

Daniel in Portland, OR.

Daniel,

It was probably made late 1942 or early 1943.

A 3/4 HP motor is really too large for that machine. Factory recommended 1/4 or 1/3 HP.

Brief mention here that you might sell it is probably OK and if someone were to contact you by PM and you negotiated a deal, no one would complain. However, there is an area at the bottom of the list of Fora where buying, selling or trading is permitted. Buying and comments is open to everyone. Actually listing something for sale is open only to donors $25 and up. Or it may have been changed to $10 and up. Formal For Sale ads are not permitted outside of specific Fora regardless of who you are.

Thanks for the information, didn't realize it was that old. I should have left interest of selling out. I'll post in an appropriate area if it comes to that.

OK. FYI, most of the parts in the 101.07301 are the same as those in the Atlas 618. Exceptions are the spindle and bearings and parts pertaining to them, and the Type 2 Countershaft. The Atlas 618 changed to the Type 3 circa 1939. But the 101.07301 kept the Type 2 throughout its production life.

Atlas 618 for sale in Santa Clara, CA ($500) per thread:

00707_ckQufVux1n9_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Craig

Edited with title change 20200627

In the combined machine database (742 entries to date) there are 180 10" entries, 21 of which show no serial numbers. There are 113 Craftsman entries, 19 or which show no serial numbers. Plus we only have 30 10" and 22 12" bearing dates for Timken equipped 10" or 12".

Anyway, anyone with any Atlas built machine (not just lathes) who doesn't remember for sure entering your machine into the old Yahoo database or giving it to me recently, please send me the model number; bed length, serial number (including any prefix or suffix letters), type (10F, 10D, etc.), and if it has Timken bearings, the bearing dates if you know them. If no bearing dates are available, then anything that would give the original purchase date (no guesses, please). Also any comments you wish to make about condition, accessories, when and where purchased, price, etc.
If your machine is a MK2 6", there is a somewhat more detailed questionnaire also in this sticky area. If you've responded to that questionnaire, no response is needed here.

Thanks, Robert D.

Edited with title change 20200627

In the combined machine database (742 entries to date) there are 180 10" entries, 21 of which show no serial numbers. There are 113 Craftsman entries, 19 or which show no serial numbers. Plus we only have 30 10" and 22 12" bearing dates for Timken equipped 10" or 12".

Anyway, anyone with any Atlas built machine (not just lathes) who doesn't remember for sure entering your machine into the old Yahoo database or giving it to me recently, please send me the model number; bed length, serial number (including any prefix or suffix letters), type (10F, 10D, etc.), and if it has Timken bearings, the bearing dates if you know them. If no bearing dates are available, then anything that would give the original purchase date (no guesses, please). Also any comments you wish to make about condition, accessories, when and where purchased, price, etc.
If your machine is a MK2 6", there is a somewhat more detailed questionnaire also in this sticky area. If you've responded to that questionnaire, no response is needed here.

Thanks, Robert D.
I have a Craftsman (Atlas) 12x36 lathe Model #101.07403 2079 s/n 20609. The lathe has Timken bearings, 3/8" thick ways and 3/4" lead screw. Can you tell me when this lathe was made ( I purchased it used circa 1970).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back