Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

I appear to have missed answering your date question. Based on meager evidence, I would date 101.07403 s/n 20609 Craftsman 12" lathe to 1947.

Atlas 10F, Model H36, serial number stamped on bed ways H11838S

OK. Thanks. When you get around to it, you'll need to edit your brag list (signature).

New member here who just picked up an Atlas H54 serial number 053162.
Can anyone tell me what year it was likely made?
Is there a reproduction manual available for it?

@fireguyfire'

I maintain a database of the Atlas built machines using information gathered from members here and from the old Atlas-Craftsman list that used to be on Yahoo.com and is now on groups.io. So the roots of the database goes back 20 years. The first Atlas lathe was a 9" which only had babbit bearings. The earliest 10" also only had babbit bearings but within the first year of production Atlas added the Timken bearings. Either from the beginning or from fairly soon thereafter, either Atlas or Timken (who made the bearings) began 100% inspection to confirm that only Class 3 bearings were used. And to prove to someone that the bearings had been inspected and to certify that they met Class 3 specs, each cup and cone had the inspection date hand-engraved on it. The earliest bearing date that we have is 10/19/1938 in serial number 010133 which is a TV54 which is a 10F series machine, as is yours (that machine also had a QCGB installed but that didn't happen until 1948 or later).

I would date your machine to about 3rd quarter 1944 1938.

We have in Downloads several manuals and parts lists on the 10F. Downloads requires Donor status. If you click on the Donations tab in the main toolbar, you will see a chart that details what you get at the various donation levels. And where to go and how to make a donation.

Last edited:
The earliest bearing date that we have is 10/19/1938 in serial number 010133 which is a TV54 which is a 10F series machine, as is yours (that machine also had a QCGB installed but that didn't happen until 1948 or later).

I would date your machine to about 3rd quarter 1944 1938.

Robert — If the serial number of fireguy’s lathe is 053162, wouldn’t that put the manufacture date a bit later than 1938? Maybe early to mid 1940s?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are absolutely correct. I was also working on a question from a non-H-M post about an earlier serial number close to 005632 and when I finished answering it, answered the question for that 8 year earlier machine.. Plus I was supposed to be in the kitchen getting our traditional Tuesday night pizza ready and as they say, haste makes waste. The correct estimate would be third quarter 1944.

I forgot to add that whomever was actually doing the inspection and marking, the practice seems to have stopped in 1952 or 1953. The highest engraved date that we have in the database is a 12" on 1952/12/28. I don't recall for certain whether or not anyone ever reported a 10" or a 3/8" bed 12" with a high serial number and nothing engraved on the bearings but there have been numerous such reports about 1/2" bed 12" with nothing engraved there.

Also, to save anyone the time to check, the engraved inspection dates are not known to ever have been found on any of the 6", mills or shapers.

I'll repeat my request last made several years ago for anyone who hasn't already done it and who pulls their spindle from a 10" or 3/8" bed 12" to be sure to report the bearing dates that they find or report that nothing was found if that was the case. Along with at least the serial and model number.

Thanks for the info! It’s earlier than I thought.
It’s going to get a full restoration

So I decided to pass on the H54 I mentioned earlier; when I went to pick it up the seller had misrepresented the condition quite badly.

Ironically I was able to track down an earlier 9” closer to home in good running order (but grungy) with lots of period accessories.

I’m now curious on the year of manufacture for this old girl.
Found a number on the tail piece end of the way; 4695 S.
Can anyone help me out with a year?

What is the bed length? Choices are 36", 42", 48" or 54". That will establish the model number.

Back