Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

One more thing that you should do is to remove both bearing caps one at a time and measure the remaining thickness of the shims that should be found under each end of the bearing caps. These shims are originally 0.010" thick and are made up of five pieces of 0.002" thick shim stock.

If you didn't acquire a copy of the Atlas Manual Of Lathe Operations with your lathe, you should acquire one. This manual was first printed in 1937 and was revised several times between 1937 and 1982. From 1937 through 1953, all say Copyright 1937. Plus in most years there was a version for the Atlas 10" and one for the Craftsman 12".

Back several years ago I wrote a history of the MOLO and in gathering info for the history bought a bunch of the MOLO's. Unfortunately, I ended up with more for the 10" than for the 12". However, I think that I have one extra that would match you machine. I have about $33 in it and you may have one of them for that plus MM postage. Assuming that you don't already have a suitable one of course.

The reason that I kinda got sidetracked on the MOLO is that in the correct version, it explains all about the care and feeding of the babbit spindle bearings. After 1953, there is nothing in the MOLO about the babbit bearings.

Last edited:
Just picked up an Atlas 10x36 Commercial. Bed plate casting date 02/21/1964 Model 101.28940 Serial Number 7685

Hi I’ve recently purchased a 12700 sn 106499 here in western Canada. Anyone care to share some knowledge on this machine?

Will

The 12700 was made for use in schools. So there probably not too many were made. We only have four of them in the machine database. However, the only difference between it and the 3996 is the cabinet and the counter shaft and the only difference between the 3996 and the 3995 is the bed length.

I just acquired an Atlas Lathe TH42 serial # 090083. Can anyone tell me about its age or if parts are available and where from. I did find a number of parts on Ebay. Not sure of size/ fit, etc.
Thanks for your help!

Your lathe will have Timken spindle bearings, is a 10" swing and is 24" between centers. It is a 10F and should have a horizontal countershaft. It was probably made in 1951. eBay is one source of used parts. And we have a For Sale area at the bottom of the list of Fora.

Atlas bought Clausing circa 1950 and in the late 60's or early 70's changed the company name from Atlas-Clausing to Clausing-Atlas and then to Clausing Industrial.They are still a source of some new parts, Phone # is 800-323-0972. Another source of some parts is MyMachineShop.com

In Downloads under Atlas... you will find manuals and parts drawings.

Thanks for the reply and information.
There's a back story to this lathe. (As i'm sure there are to most used machines).
I worked as a Tool and Die maker for a good portion of my career. At the place I worked, there was an old timer working there. He was the guy that bought the lathe brand new, originally. After some years he decided to get rid of it so he sold it to the company to use in the tool room. It stayed with the company for many years. Over those years they bought many spare parts and just kept them along with the machine. I worked there for 37 years before retiring. The lathe was there the entire time. Some time after I retired some genius decided they didn't need that machine any more and gave to one of the employees. The spare parts disappeared, were thrown away, somehow gone! He kept it for a few years, never using it. He then gave it to another retired guy who kept it in his garage uncovered and unprotected for some time. I had been trying to get it from him for 3-4 years. Finally, last week he decided he was ready to get rid of it and gave it to me. Dirty, rusty and broken, it's now mine. The first thing I'm doing is disassembling it. I need to do a lot of cleaning and de rusting. Over the years it was painted some ugly blue color. I need to get rid of that, too. It will be a fun project!!

Well, that is better than the average story. Too bad about all of the spare parts. And the neglect before you finally got it. The original color was probably dark machinery gray.

It's too bad that some people don't know the value of certain items. Some times it's more than monetary value. It could be a part that's no longer made, hard to find, etc. When you look on Ebay for parts, I'm amazed at the cost of some replacement parts. I am stripping what parts I can and repainting it gray!

Is there some sort of master file with the S/N listings?
I bought an Atlas 10F yesterday and the S/N is 092310.
I can't seem to locate where the bearing dates are.
Thank you,
Andy

Disregard....I found it. Looks like the search function is your friend

Last edited:
Back