Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

I was recently given an Atlas 618 by a friend. It was missing some parts like a chuck, change gears, jackshaft, etc., but it looks like it is in pretty good shape for how old it is. The serial number is 011120 and I am guessing it was built somewhere between 1958 and 1964. Would that be about right?

IMG_6147.JPG

IMG_6141.JPGIMG_6145.JPG

Andy,

The Atlas, Craftsman and AA database is actually kept in two locations (three if you count the master on my machine here at home). One location is in the Sticky area at the top of the Atlas/Craftsman/etc. Forum. But I have been known to forget to update that one. The other is in the Atlas/Craftsman area in Downloads (which requires Donor status to see, but you are OK for that). I update it sporadically

However, the only places that have an actual date engraved on them are the Timken spindle bearing cups and cones. Atlas built there first lathe, a 9". circa the latter part of 1931. And shortly after built a version that Sears sold under the Master Craftsman name. The 1932 date comes from the fact that the first Sears Power Tools catalog to have the 9" in it is dated 1932, The first several Atlas catalogs that we have are numbered but not dated up through about 1939. Atlas didn't initially build the lathes with anything but Babbit bearings which are always undated. Atlas began to offer the 10" around 1935 and the first 12" appeared in the 1936 Sears Power Tools catalog, but only with babbit bearings.. The following year the 101.07400 also appeared with Timken bearings. The earliest reported engraved bearing date is in a 10D S/N 002107 dated 1936/01/28.

Anyway, your machine was probably made in 1953. If you can report the model number off of the nameplate on the right end of the bed or if the nameplate is missing, the LOA of the front way (not the distance between centers), I will add it to the database. If you need to pull the spindle anyway, please report whether or not there is any date on the bearings. But there probably isn't as either Atlas or Timken quit engraving the dates on the spindle bearing cups and cones we think in 1951 or 1952.

Andy,

The Atlas, Craftsman and AA database is actually kept in two locations (three if you count the master on my machine here at home). One location is in the Sticky area at the top of the Atlas/Craftsman/etc. Forum. But I have been known to forget to update that one. The other is in the Atlas/Craftsman area in Downloads (which requires Donor status to see, but you are OK for that). I update it sporadically

However, the only places that have an actual date engraved on them are the Timken spindle bearing cups and cones. Atlas built there first lathe, a 9". circa the latter part of 1931. And shortly after built a version that Sears sold under the Master Craftsman name. The 1932 date comes from the fact that the first Sears Power Tools catalog to have the 9" in it is dated 1932, The first several Atlas catalogs that we have are numbered but not dated up through about 1939. Atlas didn't initially build the lathes with anything but Babbit bearings which are always undated. Atlas began to offer the 10" around 1935 and the first 12" appeared in the 1936 Sears Power Tools catalog, but only with babbit bearings.. The following year the 101.07400 also appeared with Timken bearings. The earliest reported engraved bearing date is in a 10D S/N 002107 dated 1936/01/28.

Anyway, your machine was probably made in 1953. If you can report the model number off of the nameplate on the right end of the bed or if the nameplate is missing, the LOA of the front way (not the distance between centers), I will add it to the database. If you need to pull the spindle anyway, please report whether or not there is any date on the bearings. But there probably isn't as either Atlas or Timken quit engraving the dates on the spindle bearing cups and cones we think in 1951 or 1952.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220702-161203_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220702-161203_Gallery.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 7
OK. Before I update both copies of the database, is there anything else that you would want included in your record? Maybe you had better look at the file first. The file name is ATLASDB.DBF which is a dBase 4 or later database file. And the index file is ATLASDB.MDX which is the multiple index file. As I doubt that you still have a working copy of dBase, Microsoft Excel and most of its bzillion clones will open and display the DBF file but AFAIK cannot use the MDX file. Most versions of Microsoft Access will also open and display it but may or may not know what to do with the MDX file.

I opened the file with Excel. Its on my work computer so I will look it over tomorrow and see if there is anything to add.

Here is as a complete lists as I can provide based on the Excel sheet.

Description Lathe 10X54

Badge Atlas

Mod NR TH 54

Serial # 092310

Date Made 1953

Date Ref Guestimate

Ser # Loc Right end of bed

Owner Andy/USA/OH/New Knoxville

Cost ACQD $450 USD

Acquired 07/02/2022

Notes 4 jaw chuck, Several pieces of tooling, 8 change gears, lots of old measuring devices,

Thread & Lathe Operation manuals, Lubrication chart, level and gear clearance

Instructions

I acquired what I thought was a wood lathe (which is what I intended it to be used as), but now thinking it's an Atlas metal lathe. The only identifiers I can find is a 'Master Craftsman' badge and 'L4-694s' on the end of the bed. It looks to be a 12x36 lathe.

Runs fine and true, but the rear bearing gets really hot after a couple minutes and am worried I'm causing more wear than necessary. I used oil in the oilers, but it looks like it's getting a lot of friction somehow. The front bearing is much cooler. Not sure if I'm missing parts on the spindle or not. 292204041_5160317664083070_4796659017690801168_n.jpg292397120_5085826094872475_6185121296538748496_n.jpgPXL_20220730_191835997.jpgPXL_20220730_203053111.jpgPXL_20220730_191742358.MP.jpg

Bigolac,

It was most probably made in 1936 and was sold as a wood lathe under the catalog number of 99PM2026. What's there is the same as on the Craftsman 101.07360. What the actual model number is would require finding the owners & parts manual that was sold with it.

However, to get back to the bearings, if the left bearing is getting hot after running a few minutes, it is too tight.

The Atlas babbit bearing lathes that Sears sold and Atlas made left the factory with two 0.010" shim packs, one under each gearing cap bolts. Each shim pack was made up of five 0.0002" shims laminated together. So you need to get a roll of 0.002" shim stock and cut out a few shims. Stack them and clamp between two pieces of wood. drill the 3/8" bolt holes. Add one shim under each bolt and torque them down to about 20 to 25 lb-ft. If too loose, remove one shim and try it again. If still too tight, and one more shim and check again. After several minutes run-time. the bearing should get a little warm but not hot.

There is a PDF of the 1936 Power Tools catalog in Downloads. Full access to Downloads requires Donor status (any level). Unfortunately, we do not appear to have a copy of the nearest to correct parts list. All that we have are about one revision too new. And all have the back gears. And the only illustrated parts list that we have is several revisions too new, being the one on the 101.07383.

Back